Getting deeps ready for packages

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Apr 10, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

This week or next I should be getting my 5 packages. I'm getting boxes ready with drawn foundation. I have enough capped honey to give a frame to each. They are not fully drawn and vary. I do have pollen as well but it's mostly spotty in where the bees placed it in with the brood. Several questions

1. Placement of foundations. 4-5 frames of drawn in middle. Then frame of honey on one side, pollen on the other. Then undrawn foundation to fill the 10 frame deep? (Several boxes have undrawn foundation)

2. Several frames have uncapped nectar and where it seems the hive ate the liquid and sugars crystallized. Will this be good to feed them?

3. One drawn foundation is funky looking. Should I still use it?

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Forgot pic.

Attached Files:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Crazy, are you getting your bees from up north? I plan on picking up 2 packages from Graham's Bee Works south of me in Morgantown this Saturday.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I just talked to Juanita at Graham's - bees are delayed due to weather. Maybe next week (20th).

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Dave, I'm getting my bees at apple blossom honey farm in star city. I had nucs ordered first from Graham's but decided to give packages a shot this year. They acted happy I canceled my order due to the fact they didn't know if they were going to have enough

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Indy. I have been trying to contact them to see if tomorrow was still a go. I took off tomorrow to get them. I can't keep doing that though...kind of a pain in the back side. Very unpredictable. I figured they would be delayed since I did not receive a call from them 4 days in advance like they promised.

Crazy, I think the nucs will be much better. The drawn frames will be the awesome to have. I had heard Graham's might be short on packages.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Dave, I just got a call an hour Go mine are ready to pick up tomorrow. Give them a ring.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right on! Apple Blossoms called ya? I can't get anyone to answer at Grahams. Good for you! I am glad I already have bees or I would be bummed to wait another week. I have plenty of things to keep me busy revolving around the bees. I finally made contact. They said it was too cool for them to be shipped up. So, next Saturday.

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Dave, sorry for my typing. I'm on my iPhone and it has a mind of its own. Yes, Apple Blossom called and I get my packages tomorrow. As for Graham's I am wrong. It was Hunters that I had nucs ordered from. I was surprised that they are ready. But, they do winter in Florida. I'll see how they do through the winter vs my 2 hives ill have NWC bees.