Getting depressing

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The lack of swarms in Tennessee this year is getting downright depressing. I had originally hoped to get 25 swarms this year... but at this rate, I'll be lucky to get 2.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

any calls yet??

I have not even heard of any close by.

I figured while I am down with my back I would have had several calls.

Oh well.

G3

3. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I have had one, but I got the call to my cell during the three days I went out of town! I got it on the very day I went and left!

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I heard of 2 in a nearby county, but neither call resulted in a captured swarm for the beek (not me). He said when he got there, bees had already left.

I am seriously going to lose my mind if I don't start getting some calls. I keep thinking that maybe I'm just not on the right swarm removal list or something... and keep increasing the scope of my advertizing... but so far, nothing. If I don't get a call by this weekend then I'm going to drive all over town and drop off business cards with every fire department and pest control company...

5. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

I had 3 swarm traps out this year & caught 1 swarm last weekend. As a matter of fact I think that the traped swarm is stronger than a nuc I bought this spring. Still have 3 traps out. Would like to get at least 2 more.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

SgtMaj, I looked on the KCBA and we have not been added onto their list as of yet. Sent them a email and still no reply either. I did get a email from Dr. Skinner about the master bee classes, Lawerence county for three days straight.

G3

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah, the KCBA website doesn't seem to be actively maintained. I don't expect it will be updated until around July or August.

What three days will the classes be?? I've got some time I can take from work... and it'd be worth it! Not sure where Lawerence county is though... gonna have to google that.

Well it's raining again, and it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days as well... so that's going to hurt the odds of productive swarm calls.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Just googled it... that's a 5 hour drive... each way... ouch. Wonder what the hotel situation is like there.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

PM sent to you, started yesterday.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah that's way too short of notice... lol. Wasn't it advertized as being free as well? Oh well, there's always the next one.

Oh, by the way... was on my way to work today, and thought to myself... "wouldn't it be ironic if I got my first swarm call now while on my way to work so that I couldn't get it..." No sooner than I had finished that thought when my phone rang... caller id showed a number not in my phone list, so I'm thinking... IRONY! Sure enough, it was a call about bees, but for a structural removal instead of a swarm. So I'm going to take a look and assess the situation tomorrow.

I'll tell ya, getting a call of any sort at this point really improved my outlook.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

WOO HOO!!! It's a 2-fer! Right above the hive in the wall there is a swarm sitting on a branch about 25 feet off he ground, but only 8 to 10 feet above the roof ridge, medium sized swarm. If this weather breaks at all tomorrow I will pick up the swarm, then do the cutout probably the week after this next week depending upon what the weather does.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear it. I don't think this weather is going to give you a break today for sure.

What method you going to use for the swarm that high up?? ladder, bucket on a pole

Please don't forget the camera, I need to see bees, still in the bed with my back out!!
    If I get any calls I will give them to you.

G3

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I took pics today, but for some reason they didn't save onto the card, so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

I'm going to just stand on the roof and waive my magic wand and the bees will come right to me... it helps that my magic wand was made by hoover... :) I have the bee vac prepped and ready to go so it should be pretty straightforward.

The cutout also looks fairly straightforward though it'll have to be done on a ladder... probably an 8' a-frame should work, but I'll actually measure the distance to the ground tomorrow when I get the swarm.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the mess of a cut out always makes me depressed.

I noted in one of the old bee magazines a swarm retrievers that you could employ without ever leaving the ground. if I was catching any number of swarms I would certainly build something to keep me out of the trees and off of folk's roof. it essentially was a fish net hoop with a bit of fabric attached with a small mesh size designed to capture the swarm once dislodged. the real innovation was a bit of black plastic sheeting stretched across the hoop with slits cut in the middle that allowed the swarm to fall thru the plastic sheet and into the fabric pouch below.