Getting Hive Set for Winter

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Friday I will be pulling honey supers off hives. I am running two deeps for brood. I think brood boxes feel light so I want to start feeding with hive top feeders; dont want to depend on fall flow in case it fizzles and then too cold for sugar syrup. The summer sure fizzled!

Should I feed for a while first and see where the bees put things or consider pulling some capped frames of honey up from the bottom box now and moving some brood frames down into lower box? I will have to go through the hives and get a better inventory. I know I have some Mann Lake small cell plastic frames that are not drawn out well except middle of panels but have not looked at them for a while anymore than to verify queen and cull drone brood. Mite levels appear to be really low so I think I am in good shape health wise.

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

If you put your extracted frames back on the hives over top of the inner cover, they will clean at least a couple of pounds of honey out of them. I'm in the bees know best camp when it comes to the brood boxes and only re-arrange things if the hive is honey bound early in the year. Good luck.