Getting nervous...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Hey everyone, my first bees should be arriving in two weeks and I don't want to mess this up. They will be put in a 10 frame deep. I have lemon grass, spearmint, thyme, and wintergreen oils for feed supplements, 50 lbs of sugar too. I understand by feeding them all season they should draw comb like crazy. I have a friend that is starting up too, he is attending a class at a local bee club. They are telling him to not even bother with honey supers this year. And only feed for a short period till the flow. It seems some of their advice is counter intuitive. My bees are Italian, his will be their mutts... They also are recommending chemicals to fight off mites and shb . I don't plan on using them.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Well, what I did was hive the bees in a deep and feed them 1:1 syrup. When the bees started to slow on the feeding, I removed syrup. I added another deep when they had fill 7 frames. I didn't use any chemicals. The Essex County Beekeepers have a You Tube video on hiving bees. I have it on my website at: http://www.rgf-tx.com/Bees.html

Rather than shaking the bees in the deep, I have been told that placing the box with the opening to the bottom and covering with a medium does just as well and is easier on the bees. I haven't tried it.

Walt

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I had heard it was better to place the packages rather than shake them. I am going to try that.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Just jump in there and have fun with it. You will find your way. I am assuming you have done your homework waiting on the big day. As for natural, I am chemical free. I don't treat them at all. My personal opinion is that if mother nature doesn't do it, then I don't need to do it. I have had pretty good success the last three years. There are critics of this, but it's that way I chose to do it. You will get so many different opinions on bee care and it can be confusing. Don't be nervous, it will be great..

5. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

What Dave said: Just do it and have fun! The girls pretty much take care of themselves the first year. Get used to inspections and handling. There will be people around to help you in the fall and when things start getting weird the second year.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

depends on the bees, I have had small nucs turn into 5 boxes high the 1st year, never hurts to have the honey boxes sitting, rather have a not need then need and not have

7. Northport Bees

Northport Bees New Member

I agree with Zookeep, put honey supers on your hive when your 2nd deep is 3/4 full

8. camero7

camero7 Member

I only shake packages into the hives. I rip the screen and dump them in. Putting the package in an empty super is inviting trouble IMO. Doesn't always happen but I know of one instance where the bees stayed in the package and started building comb there. You have a declining population in a package and time is of the essence. Don't waste time with -so-called - easy methods. Be a beekeeper, dump them in.

9. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Update... The bees have been in the hive for 12 days. I dumped them in placed the queen cage between a couple of frames and let em go. That was fun, everyone needs to do that at least once! Saturday I gave them their second gal of syrup and took a quick look at a few frames. They have their first box nearly half full of comb. Only one little piece of crazy comb where the cage was, (i cut it out) the rest is perfect. There is no foundation other than one little strip I put in for a ladder in the center frame. I did not even try to find the queen or hunt for eggs yet. I'll give it a few more days.

10. camero7

camero7 Member

you're doing great!

11. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Well nice sunny 85 deg today. Went into the hive to check things out. 70-75% filled with comb, saw capped brood and larvae. I put another med on for brood and moved two frames up to get their attention. Everything seems to be moving along nicely. I didn't see the queen but I wasn't really hunting for her. She didn't jump up and down with a red flag, so I missed her. The ants are still a drag and the top cover was full of those "inch worms" I hope they are not wax moth worms??? Anyone know? Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement!!!!

12. camero7

camero7 Member

Those inch worms might be Small Hive Beetles. Keep an eye on them, SHB can ruin a hive pretty fast.

13. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

My daughter looked them up... Seem to be a type of leaf eating moth. Light brown with dark brown spots. I've seen them around...