Getting things in order for my first bee venture...

Discussion in 'Bees' started by blueblood, Mar 22, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi guys, I don't have enough experience to add anything real useful in the forums so I thought I would post some pics of how things are going in preparing my first hives and apiary. Everybody likes pictures. I really enjoyed making all of my own hive components over the last couple of weeks. I spent yesterday and today clearing out my bee yard and making some stands with some scrap wood I had in the shop. My wife and I are very fortunate to have three or so acres in the back field of my property to dedicate to things like this. I stopped the farming on my back field when we bought the place in 2008 and immediately planted blue stem grasses and wild flowers on the land. I have a 50 count blueberry patch back there and little area to camp out. Now, a bee yard! The bees will have my field and hundreds of acres of corn and bean fields surrounding them to keep them happy. 1. view of the back field from closer to my house, the bee yard will be against the tree line to the left. 2. then stands I built today. 3. all my bee keeping equipment including frames/foundations I received from Walter T. Kelley a few days ago (still inside the front door, can't believe I haven't torn into them!). 4. the bee yard (this is a pic from earlier this week, I cleared a bunch of it out today and put down some weed screen and cedar chips to keep weeds down around the hives). 5. my first two hives (I am fashioning some metal panning tomorrow for the lids). 6. a view back toward our house from the bees' perspective. I am expecting my bees in the next couple of weeks. I wish I had them now because of how early spring has sprung. I will continue to update this thread if you all are interested in following the progress of a newbie...
    back field.jpg bee stands.jpg bee supplies.jpg bee yard.jpg hives.jpg looking out from bee yard.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks like you have everything in order. When your bees arrive, only use the number of boxes they can cover. Add more as needed.

PS. You also have a free blog on the forum if you would like to keep a running saga of your beekeeping days from month to month and year to year.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for the tip Iddee...by golly, there is a blog tab up there...I am finding out more and more cool things about this platform for this forum.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Everything looks good to me! :thumbsup: :grin: