getting tougher

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Aug 18, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

In what year was the xyz and abc's of beekeeping first published how many editions are there and who originally wrote it? Then to make it tough. What edition was the first color pictures printed? and one last question. how many pages was in the first edition and how many in the latest?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

According to my 33rd edition the first edition was 1877 by A.I. Root. Mine is black and white and copyright 1966 by the A. I. Root co. Jack

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You got me on that one!! :confused: :confused:

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

this is 101? Geez this is gonna be a tough major.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Here is the very lovely green and gold embossed 1940 edition given to me last year on my birthday by my older daughter.
    It was the book she used when she got her entomology degree from Cornell and was a research assistant for Roger Morse in the bee dept until he passed away. I feel very honored to have it now. :)
    Its illustrations and photos are all in black and white. 813 pages.
    [​IMG]

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

AI Root wrote the first edition in 1877. The latest edition is the 41st addition and the first to include color photograghy. The first edition had 308 pages the latest over 1000 pages.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

So that's what Omie looks like?

And w/ a daughter w/ such a set of credentials I am really honored that you asked me for advice. ;)

a friend of mine gave me a big box of bee books. There are 6 editions of ABC and XYZ, from 1903, 1908, 1917, 1919, 1929, and 1959. And I have one from long ago from 1947. Actually I only have 6 additions of ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture, not seven in total. The oldest one is titled The ABC of Bee Culture. It contains 482 pages of text and index and has some advertisements in the back. Gleanings in Bee Culture cost $1.00 per year of semi monthly publications.