GFS swarm 4-20-12

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 23, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Instead of getting a swarm call, I made a swarm call!

Ol' Ben gave me a tip of a swarm that had been on the news in the Cedar Bluff area and that was all. After doing some searching on the local news websites found this..............

[video]http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=217035[/video]

Knowing where this store was at the Wife and I took off to see if we could get them. After arriving we talked to the manager and finally got permission to get them. They had been there over night and it was a cool morning and to say the least they were pissy. thought this was two swarms actually since I could not get part of them even interested int he hive. Had to break out the bee vac to make the final clean up of the job. After getting them home the vac bees decided they wanted to be with the rest of the others and moved over to them.

[video=youtube;UMR9Yufl87U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMR9Yufl87U&context=C49159f7ADvjVQa1PpcFN7 8f3CGN51idcUnrTCllb5DBbDxRIW9ww=[/video]

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Looks like they had started building comb. I have found once they start, that changes their dispostion.
    Robert

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey G3:

Nice job. You deserved those bees, searching them out like you did! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Gotta ask, working with just a t-shirt like that, did you ever have one fly up your sleave and tag you? I would have to think a shot in the underarm area would hurt like, well, a lot! :???:

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I have found the same thing, which is why I never do a swarm without my jacket and gloves on... in fact I've found that they can get downright mean if you shake them off what looks like a swarm on a branch but that has just a tiny bit of comb with some eggs in it.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry never had one up the sleeve that I can remember, but I guess that jinxed me now!!:grin:

I looked as best I could to find where they had come from but never did see anything, but then it was on the cool side that morning and they were not really flying yet. I figured they came out of the old Civil War house that is just across the street.

The thanks goes to Ben for giving me a clue of where to look.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice effort with that one...I bet you thought someone surely would beat you there....Perry, that would be smart to get tagged in the arm pit, ha! I read a thread this evening about someone getting it on the inside of the nose....OUCH! Can't remember who it was...ha!

7. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Great job G3. I was wondering when you were gonna put this one up. Corporate office finally give you permission?

James

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Enjoyed the vid G3 :)

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

@James I was so busy on Friday when I caught them I did not have time to call the home office. Finished work early Monday and gave them a call, She was a very nice lady and said "sure go ahead and post it", I mean free publicity and also saving the bees, what more could you ask for!