Gizmos and Gadgets

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Walt B, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I was just going through a supplier web site and there's a lot of "stuff" they list for working hives. In addition to the smoker and hive tool, they have "Italian Hive Tools", "hiver covers", "brushes", "handles", "hangers", and it goes on and on. So...

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these or has a favorite gadget or tool that saves time and effort that you wouldn't be without?

Walt

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A hammer.... Never get caught without a hammer. :thumbsup:

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I always have a roll of toilet paper in the truck...for plugging holes (in the hives) :roll: , starter paper in the smoker, makes good tissue paper for a runny nose, and of course the unexpectant BM from my wifes cooking the night before...... :Dancing:

4. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I use a cabinet maker's tool at the hives---a little shorter , and way heavier than a bee tool. It has a great curved head for breaking loose frames. That is the cabinet nail puller.
    The other end has a very wide-splayed nail puller that is almost flat inline with the shaft, but curved enough to be yet another frame tool. ....Best 50 cent garage sale item I got in a long time. :thumbsup:

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

3 bee brushes and use them all when removing honey supers. They tend to get sticky so a pail of warm water washes them out and dry while i use a different one.

Frame hangers are nice also, I made mine for about $2.50 buy the rod and heat with a hand held torch and bend, weld or screw on the hanger part. I don't use it so much any more as I found it easier to place the frames in a hive body then just switch when finished instead of putting back.

One tool I discovered A long time ago is a 7 in one tool, some are called 5 in one tool. It is the cats meow for scraping burr comb off frames as there are plenty of sharp edges to go around. Removes proplis also real well. I have a bunch of them, seems ACO hardware has a sale on them about every week for a dollar to a buck and a half.

Of course the roll of tape. Nope not duck tape as it will not stick all the time but the roll of blue painters tape does except in real wet conditions. It is used to tape up entrances of swarm catch boxes when all the catch boxes are in use already and you have to make do with a normal box and bottom board. I also use it to reduce entrances on weaker colonies when I forgot or did take enough reducers for the job. I even use it to tape the reducers in place.

I also carry a small hand torch. Moving from yard to yard I need to light the smoker a lot even though we don't use it much it is always ready. Cedar chips and sumac light fast with the torch.

:D Al

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the one thing I would not be without is a smoker and your standard hive tool (it feels just right in my hand). a bee brush for certain chores related to queen rearing is also somewhat to highly essential.

ps... some of the newer hive tool do have some definite advantages over the old standard paint scraper styled hive tool, but they just don't fit into my hand or pocket so well.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I usually carry everything in a five gallon bucket, can't beat a good bucket. The ones with the screw on lids are great for keeping stuff dry in the back of the truck and are more like six gallon.

I'm with you tec.........hive tool and smoker, always have extra smoker materials on hand also.

G3