Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several windows that need re-glazing. I removed the old glazing and cleaning everything up with ammonia and water. Took a ball of glazing compound and worked it in my hands to form a rope...mashed the rope in the appropriate spot where the glass and wood meet...took the glazing knife to it...and it looked good for about 2 inches, then the glazing compound starts to shred. The compound also does not seem to adhere very well to the glass/wood.
Any helpful hints?
Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is that a linseed oil glazing putty? If the container has not been well sealed it can lose its smooth stickiness and be crumbly. I think a bit of boiled linseed oil, worked in well, might rejuvenate it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you prime the wood with oil based primer first, it sticks better. Also, glazing is kind of like an art form. Keep smoothing it, you'll get there.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I use the window glazing in a caulking tube. You can smooth it nicely with a wet finger (although I do recommend dipping into a pail of water and not licking your finger, at least after the first time ! :shock: ) After I did several panes, I found I got the knack and could lay it on nicely with minimal smoothing.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
""(although I do recommend dipping into a pail of water and not licking your finger, at least after the first time ! :shock: )""

JOKE>>>>

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Fortunately(or unfortunately) it rained here after work yesterday so I wasn't able to get outside to work on this project. I will add a little boiled linseed oil to the compound...I just happen to have some. And...it is probably more an issue of my lack of skill. I'll just keep at it until I get it right. Thanks for your help. :)
OK...I tried again today(Wednesday). I tried working the compound in my hands quite a bit longer than I had done the first time. That did the trick! Got one pane done. Not perfect...but acceptable. 15 more panes to go on this window. Sure hope I get a little faster as I go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts