going for it

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Zookeep, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok, today I spit the cells into 3 nucs, pulled 2 frames of capped brood and 2 food from the buckfast hive and added 2 queen cells from the tree hive, did the same with the all american hive and 3 cells, 4 frames and 2 cells from the tree hive and left the rest in the tree hive. I wanted to do 1 more nuc but the cells still in the tree hive are all too close together and I just dont wanna destroy any.

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now leave them alone for 14 days or more. Disturbance during that time can be detrimental.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lol now comes the hard part, not knowing

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well the nucs are sucking down the 1 to 1 sugar fast had to refill everything today, some foragers on the move also, might be a sign that they all didnt high tail it back to there old hives :lol:

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ok, going by the calender queens should be poppin out on sunday, weather report for the next week is sunny and upper 80's { good flying weather} lol I should have made glass nucs, I wanna look so bad :lol:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can take a look on the following Sat. or Sunday. If they come out this Sunday, they can start laying anytime from Friday on. If you do look, take just enough time to find eggs and close them back up. Don't bother searching for the queen. Then wait one more week, then treat as a normal hive.

PS. I hope you have beetle traps on these nucs.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I dont have traps but both hives I used to make the nucs are more then aggressive tward the beetles, I mean 2 or 3 will jump a beetle when it even tries to land. I watched 2 bees have a tug of war with a beetle as the rope 1 day, funny as all heck and the winner just flew away with it

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

things still looking good I think, bees flying in and outa the nucs and good sentries on duty, today or sundays the day of the hatch (should be), I feel like a kid 4 days before Xmas

Attached Files:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looking good.

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well after a inspection of the 2 big hives today I found a lone queen cell in the buckfast hive so I took that frame and 3 others out and used my last empty nuc, was thinking about just crushing it but we still have a flow going so I figured what the heck, time for 1 more.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

added more feed to the new nuc and that 1 cup is now 6 in just 24 hours, wow the girls are busy today :Dancing:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, and I am getting my tarpaper, foamboard insulation, and mouse guards ready for winter!

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Winter? ive seen pics of that on the web, thought it was a ugly rumor :lol: we get a week of cold weather sometimes 2 but thats about it, the girls fly just about all year round where I live

14. Omie

Omie New Member

....and so do the hive beetles! ;)

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

wow omie saying dirty words like that in the forums, didnt know you had it in you :lol: maybe I should send you a box of them as a gift lol

16. Omie

Omie New Member

GAAAAAggggghhhhhh!!!!!! Noooooooooo!!! :shock:

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Today I sat in the field and watched the hives, all 4 nucs have good foragers and guards at the entrances, some yellow and orange pollen going in, the 2 full hives in the same place are active as well and I noticed loud buzzing every now and then and realized the drones are on the move, had 1 or 2 at every hive and nuc heading out to the center of the field and back, was cool to watch.

then I forced myself to leave cause i started to get the itch to peak into the nucs for the new queens and sunday should be the day

18. Omie

Omie New Member

Every day you wait and give them a little extra time, the better the outcome will be and the more easily you'll be able to tell if there's a laying queen. ;)

Couple weeks ago I came in from the bees and realized there was a bee inside my shirt buzzing around.... =8-o You should have seen me whip that shirt right off! Good thing I was in my garage and not out on the lawn in full view. LOL
    Then I realized the buzzing was incredibly loud and could only be....a drone. Sure enough, it was a poor harmless drone and I shook him out outside, to be on his merry way.

19. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I love it when your at the hive looking in it, have a frame in 1 hand and something in the other and you realize the bee looking at you on mesh right at your nose is on the inside of the mesh and not on the outside and with my luck she is also the only bee in my yard actually mad at me and wanting to do something about it :lol:

20. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You love it when a bee is on the inside of your veil? Zoo-I'm worried about you :lol:
    All that summer is affecting you. You should come up to Ohio. We too, have 4 seasons. Winter, Still winter, Almost winter, and road construction.
    BTW, is that you on the firing line in your avatar picture? What is that you're shooting?