Going to get 4 packages 0n Saturday

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, May 2, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Going down to Walter to pick up 4 packages on Saturday morning:grin:. Trouble is the weather is not going to be that great 57 for the high with rain and T'storms. Sunday will be 66 and T'storms. I have a 12 x 12 canopy that I thought I would set up over the hives for installation of the packages. Any advice on how to proceed in the limited time I have to work with.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Plan your work and work your plan. :)

I did two packages from WTK a week or so ago. The first one (the first one I had ever done) was kind of stop and go. But the second one went much smoother. You'll get the hand of it quickly, I'm sure.

Just be ready for bees to come out when you pry the top wood slat cover thing off. The seal around the can and queen cage is not a tight fit.

You'll be fine. Have fun! :)

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

ouch, 46 and raining this does not seem like good bee moving weather:sad: . But I'm off to go pick them up non the less.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good bee "moving" weather, will keep them cool and not over heat them.
    would not think it was good install weather though, never done a package install myself!

Good luck and keep us posted, take a tour of WTK if you can, I hear it is a good!

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I just got a call and my two nucs arrived in Chattanooga today. I worked all night so my dad is going to go and pick them up for me. But it's going to be 50s and rainy here today, too. :( They're three-frame nucs so there's not much choice, I have to get them hived so I can feed them. They're going to be hungry, I'm sure.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nucs should not be too hungry since they should have a frame or two of honey.

good luck with them.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

These are 3-frame nucs. Supposedly, they're just frames of brood and bees. But, we'll see.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That might be a little different then, did not realize they were 3 framers.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I will try to take some pictures, but it may be too wet and rainy. I'll probably be in a hurry.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got the nucs installed in the pouring rain. They weren't real happy, but neither was I. I smoked them some and they went in ok.

One box had three frames and one box had four frames. There was a lot of free comb attached to the lid, too.

It was pouring rain, so I didn't want the bees exposed too much, and I was wet enough, so I didn't do an inspection or look for the queen. A quick glance showed capped brood, so in they went. I leaned the tops and boxes against the entrances of the hives so that the tagalongs could get inside the hive. Filled up the top feeders and done until next week. I'll post some pictures when I get them uploaded.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Please update us on how it went when you get a chance. :)

12. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

National Lampoon's bee-cation

Straight from a page of Clark Griswald adventures. As noted prior it was mounting up to be a miserable day. Packed up the SUV, wife, check, puppy , check , snacks , check, blankie for wife and puppy, check, map no need we have smart phones. So as we are heading east thru KY we come into a bit of road construction or more to the point the parkway was closed, no biggie detour on small winding roads. The small winding road brought us to a fire truck blocking the road so we are now on a detour of the detour, smart phone she realizes we are off the path so she reroutes us and we get back on the parkway :thumbsup:. So now we have smooth sailing thru westren KY. other then the continuous rain. We are getting close so we stopped into Hardees for breakfast .. line of cars in the drive thru wrapped around the building so I run in to get our food. Apparently we are far enough in the south now that they don't have croissants:shock: so I just get our orders on biscuits. So food in hand we are off again....

I'm riding in your car, you turn on the radio.
    You pullin' me close, I just say no.
    I say I don't like it, but you know I'm a liar.
    'Cause when we kiss, ooh, fire.

Off to where is the ? It appears our " navigator " has lost contact with us :confused: and not having a map we did a lot of aimlessly driving around, found a gas station and asked if they knew where it was and they had no clue and only to make it better they did not have a map. Found a 2nd gas station only to get the same response with the added comment with everybody having a smart phone nobody buys maps anymore. The boss lady calls to Walter Kelley and they where able to navigate us to there.
    wtk.jpg
    A phone call to dad gets us in the right direction to get to the farm. So to many hours and the great weather has got my back screaming at me. As G3 commented good day to transport bad day to install, dad and I decided to wait until tomorrow when it's suppose to be warmer. To my dismay the 2 packages that where in the center had a good 1/2" of dead bees
    dead bees.jpg
    Is this usual to have that many losses in a package?

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Seems like a lot of dead ones to me. :???:

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have gotten 2 package last year and 2 this year and the most that were dead was around a hand full, something must be wrong for that is a few to many to be dead I belive.

kebee

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got two packages from WTK a couple of weeks ago and they came through the mail. I only had about 25 dead in each package. But, if they recover and take off, you should be ok.

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Update: Here's the pictures I was able to take in the rain:
    Nucs before opening:

2013-05-04_14-41-50_732.jpg

One in the box, one to go:

2013-05-04_15-31-52_991.jpg

Now I have four hives!

2013-05-04_15-32-10_820.jpg

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tim that sure looks like a bunch of dead bees to me, hopefully they will bounce back.

Greg where did you get your nucs from?

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Holcomb's Lawn and Garden Center in Chattanooga. They said they came from Cartersville, GA. 2 3-frame nucs were $160.

19. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I have to say I'm not happy with the situation almost to the point of being SH#### sent pictures and a complaint email to WTK. grrrrr..

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I will have queens arriving this Wednesday night, after a week of absolutely fantastic weather. It is supposed to rain Thursday, Friday, and Saturday! :shock:
    Go figure. :???: