Going to get a little slower around here

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

Just an FYI, I just noticed that our forum traffic has slowed considerably in the last couple of day's and it just happens to coincide with an algorithm update that google made over the weekend to try and fight spam. This particular update has to do with what is called an EMD (exact match domain) name. What this means is that google has decided that they do not like domains like ours, we are a beekeeping forum and our domain is beekeeping forums. They feel everyone should be branded and not use actual words that describe your website. Maybe I should rename the forum to beedizzle dot com (is that brandable?)

The update isn't really supposed to target places like this but we are sadly a victim of collateral damage. They are constantly tweaking the search results so hopefully there will be some additional changes that fix the algorithm soon :)

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I use Firefox for access to this forum. How will I notice any effect on my useage ?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It shouldn't effect your usage. It will just mean fewer newcomers finding us. We won't show up in as many searches.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well then forum member spread the word by mouth, snail mail or e mail.... there are other contact means beyond google.

5. Charles

Charles New Member

You are so right Tec, don't even get me started on what a terrible search engine google has become. Since posting low 4th quarter earnings and losing 9% on their stock price they have completely commercialized the search results with their own paid advertisers as well as pushing their own properties like amazon to the top. Mix that with irrelevant search results, content farms like ehow and wikipedia are dominating. Who wants to read ehow articles when they are looking for new shoes to buy? It's working though they have a revenue increase of 35% over last year (21% in advertising).

If your searching for something to buy on google then there's a good chance they are going to get some of your dollars. Someone needs to recoin the phrase "googled" to reflect being sheisted rather than searched....

Sorry for the rant, it makes me mad that a company this size can make such a dramatic change and no one even realizes it's happening...

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well that explained what happened to my domain's hits, that and a lack of new material on my part. But I didn't find this forum through google - I got a pm on that other forum that suggested I visit here.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

THe good news is this group comes in second for a search on "beekeeping forums". For "Beekeeping" though I didn't find it.

8. Hawk

Hawk New Member

I've added a link to these (and other) forums on my beekeeping blog pages.

9. Charles

Charles New Member

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have this forum linked on my blog, and I got it linked on our local association's blog, too.

11. Charles

Charles New Member

Thank you! Each time another website links to us it shows the search engines that we are worth showing in the search results :)

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When I've used Google to search for something commercial it leads to weeks and weeks of related follow-up advertisements popping up on my screen in all sorts of spaces in articles I read on the internet. The phenomenon rapidly becomes a lesson in obnoxious overkill. The latest I've noticed (I don't know how long it has been going on) are the force-fed ads that appear before You-Tube videos you call up will begin to play. :sad: