Going to try a split this weekend

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Apr 17, 2014.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Last weekend I inspected the 1 hive that lived. I took off the candyboard and found what is pictured. Thought it was weird and cool. I put a super on. This weekend I want to split to put bees in my other hive. It's full of drawn comb and some honey. Any advice on how to split? I've never done it before.

Thanks
    ​Jason

Attached Files:

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/11124-Should-I-split-requeen-or-use-a-package
    Continuing on from this tread that you started. By trhis time you will have lots of brood in the hive bodies. I would do a 50/50 split. the easyest way to do this is by sliding the hive over a liittle and placing an enpty super with no frames in them on bottom boards on each side of the hive now go through the colony and place every other frame into each hive so it you numbered the frames in the super 1 to 10 all the even numpers would end up in one hive and the odd numbers would end up in the other. place any frames with brood in the center and frames with honey split and put on each side of the brood. If you have more than 4 frames of honey 2 for each side of the bottom brood box place an empty fram in the super and put the extra frames with honey to the out side in the 2nd super. Pace the empty 2nd super on top of the bottom brood box in the hive original location that you put the queen in and this split is good with the original queen. The 2nd split that is queen less do not put the extra super on just yet but close up the hive and wait 2hr. before going back in to place the queen in a queen cage in the hive. Poke a small hole thru the candy if the cage has candy of pull the cork and incert a small marshmallow in the hole so the bees can eat it to release the queen. check in 4 days that the queen has been released wait another 4 days and check if the new queen is laying by this time their should be lots of eggs and some of it already hatching into small larva.

3. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Do I need to put a queen in or can I just let them raise their own?

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You don't need to do anything it is your Hive and your Bees and your Dollars.
    I would encourage new beekeepers to buy.
    You can add genetic diversity to your apiary.
    The success of raising a queen is not 100% so if something happens along the way you will loose all those bees.
    It takes 30 days before you will have a laying queen back in the hive if she is successful if they make their own so the colony will not be building up but declining.
    A queen introduced will be laying in under a week and the colony will build up to a full size honey gathering colony by the honey flow.
    What the split will produce will be worth much more than what a queen will cost.