Goldenrod and Asters Fall Honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by blueblood, Oct 17, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Had one medium left super left in the yard that I have been waiting on the brood to hatch from some of the frames. In the meantime, the bees capped a considerable amount of the remaining frames. I ended up with around 8 pounds of honey.

It was pretty stinky extracting the honey. The goldenrod and Asters dirty sock odor was there. However, I noticed the smell more in the cappings than the honey. In fact, the honey pretty much lost that odor after it settled. The honey tested at 18.5% humidity. It tasted great!

I did a little research and discovered many people out there enjoy the flavor of fall honey predominantly sourced from goldenrod/asters. The overwhelming consensus is that the honey has butterscotch tones.

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

it certainly has a different "kick" to it.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's favoured out here in the East, not so much in the West. (Canada)

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Interesting stuff, didn't know there were those preferences out there. Here is a couple pictures of the last of my honey for this season. I do have my personal honey stashed away.
    mms_picture (44).jpg mms_picture (45).jpg

5. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

very nice looking Dave. Makes me look forward to next year.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

After extracting this year I put the supers back on the hives to be cleaned out. Well, as soon as I put them back on I thought a flow had started. Now I've decided a flow hadn't started, it was already on and they just didn't have any place to store the nectar until I emptied some frames. So I figured if they are bringing in nectar for honey, leave the supers on and I'll get a second harvest. I checked last weekend and both supers on 5 hives are filled completely. Well let me tell you, it is AWFUL!!! I scooped a teaspoon of wax and honey out of one of the frames to bring in the house to taste later. The first impression was this is very good, then I swallowed it, and I thought that's odd tasting and 1 hour later I was still feeling the burning in my throat. My wife was still complaining 2 hours later because I had asked her to taste it too :)

I suppose I'll extract what's left after this winter and store in case I have to feed next year.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jim, don't like the taste of "gym socks"? :shock: There's a reason we use that phrase here a lot. :lol:

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Actually Perry, the gym socks just started a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure this is snow on the prairie that is the culprit.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Oh man, Jim, that would have been awesome had it been tasty honey....that many boxes full is a bunch on gold...

This goldenrod honey is like most folks say, faint smell by taste good...

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

BB, I think if you had your honey tested, it has very little GR in it. GR honey is much, much darker.

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

What I'm seeing is very light honey. But with a nasty aftertaste :)

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Light as in color or viscosity?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

GR honey looks like molasses.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i usually leave the 'gym socks' on for the bees for winter......:lol:
    although when i harvest, some of the initial goldenrod gets mixed in with the rest. some folks do prefer darker, stronger flavored honey. my customers (and family!) are happy with getting the real stuff doesn't matter what it is....! the only 'single source' honey i will have is when i have frames for comb honey in the boxes when a strong flow is on. last year it was wild bee balm. it has a slight mint flavor to it, and it is awesome! okay was......:lol:

i have to admit, the first year i started keeping. the fall flow came on. goldenrod, and it was prolific. not knowing then, i thought there was something wrong with all my hives from the not so pretty smell that literally emanated from the boxes. (we always think the worst) i called my mentor, there's something wrong. as soon as he climbed out of his truck near the hives, he started to laugh.....he smiled, and said, 'goldenrod'.

whoops, see a bunch of posts here.....
    goldenrod is very dark and very thick.....or heavier......as iddee said, molasses

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee and Beckey! Boy, you would sure think there is more GR honey in there by the smell of it when extracting,,,whewwwwwweeee! What is it that holds the stinky sock? The wax? The foot traffic? The cappings were stronger smelling than the honey...

16. jim314

jim314 New Member

Very light in color blueblood, and since it was capped it was like the honey I harvested earlier in viscosity. No different than this summer's honey.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

you guys are funny about the 'stinky sock'.......:lol:
    it is the nectar dave......the cappings honey will hold this more so than the extraction of your regular frames. even in a strong flow, nectar's of different plants will be mixed in your supers, with the strongest nectar source being the primary. i learned the smells and tastes of different honeys primarily from my mentor and by doing comb honey, and observation and knowledge of the flow coming in......
    and taste test!

what did you guys smell when they were working the dandelions? how would you describe that?

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:grin:...reminds me of smelly cat on Friends. Anyway, I did not get a change to taste any honey early enough for dandelions. I was just getting started with being a keep when the Dandelions were bursting...they are early here.

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"reminds me of smelly cat on Friends"
    :lol:

i forgot dave, you were just getting started, dandelions have a unique smell as well, not as pungent like goldenrod.....:grin:

20. jim314

jim314 New Member

LOL, you nailed it, that's the best description of goldenrod smell I've seen yet :)