Goldline queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 6, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I am getting a 2nd Nuc of goldline bees. I will be getting 4 queens from Ferguson Apairy, I will re-queen the buckfast colonies from R Weaver with them, and make a few splits with the strongest hives. The real question I have is while at Purvie's website they claim a lot ( don't they all! ) anyone else have experience with the Goldline strain?
    Barry

2. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

since you're a Moderator, please correct me if it's improper to ask a question rather answer one. I thought of sending PM message instead. Just wondering what happened with your Buckfast queens from RWeaver? I ordered a package and buckfast queen from them myself; installed the package on May 10th, and on May 30th inspection found what i believe to be a young virgin queen that was superceded, i assume. although the original 'marked' queen was released by day 4 when i pulled the cage i never found her. planning to wait a few weeks before thoroughly inspecting again to insure the new queen has been mated and is laying.

again sorry, i have no experience with Goldline bees.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

All queens in the 4 hive that are buckfast seem to be good laying queens, that's not this issue for me. After dealing with rather miserable Italians up north, wanted bees that would be easy to de with no inclined to be defensive. Buckfast seemed to be the answer. Not a wuzzy or anything like that but calm bees are what I am looking for. I have a strong buckfast colony that when opened, I am circled by a couple bees, with several trying to sting. Don't sound too calm do they. Ferguson Apairy in Canada, breeds true buckfast bees in a rather isolated area so breeding is true.
    Barry