Good feeling!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Mar 23, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Went out today after it got to the upper 40s and sunny and decided to pop hives open, scrap all the flotsam of the bottom boards and check for brood. All 7 colonies here by my house are alive and well. Saw the queen in 3 and eggs in all but my nuc which had what look like 2 really wimpy queen cells which were opened. I'm not sure whether to combine them or try to source a queen from down south. I'll give it another check in a week and order a queen if I don't see signs of a laying queen.

Anyway, a video of the entrances of 5 hives (including the nuc) and some pictures, enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ke3blGVDs6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The hive below is from a nearly 9 lb swarm I caught June 30 last summer. I have them in 3 medium boxes and the top medium hasn't been touched and still full of capped honey. This picture is between the 1st and second medium, they were raising brood in both. The frames with no bees were still all nearly completely capped honey, I estimated a conservative 30 lbs of honey remaining. They are very, very thrifty with stores and have a nice disposition, this would be worth splitting.
    avon_swarm_hive_March 23_2013.JPG

The queen in the hive below is from a local bee breeder and is the driving force behind the Illinois Queen Initiative (http://www.illinoisqueeninitiative.com/). She was installed in August last year and overwintered in a deep and two mediums, the top medium is almost completely untouched.
    stu_queen_hive1_March 23_2013.JPG

This is the first swarm I caught last summer, they overwintered in a deep and two mediums but weren't quite as thrifty as the others, they've been eating on some dry sugar over the top bars but there is still a fair amount of capped honey in the hive.
    creve_couer_swarm_March23_2013.JPG

I didn't get pictures of the rest but all looked good and healthy with the exception of the nuc which I have some concerns with right now.

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Yeah, that's it. Looks like I screwed up embedding the video. I was so happy to see the activity yesterday.

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

At first I read your location as Florida. I need my eyes checked. But I was reading your post going. what the heck? Good to know things are starting to shake northerly of where I am. we also have not been suffering the late winter that was not supposed to happen either.