Good Grief, Did I Really Do That? Yep I did.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Aug 3, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I added a third super to my booming package a couple of weeks ago. I moved a frame of honey from positions 2 and 8 from super #2 up to super #3. However, although there a strong flow going on right now, super #3 just seemed to be slow to build out. Didn't seem to compute since the lower supers, I suspected, were either fully capped or at least getting close.

So I decided to go ahead and extract the lower two today. I was having a hard time getting the top super off and when I did, out came a couple of large chunks of comb honey attached to the bottom of frames 2 and 8. My brain couldn't compute what was going on for a minute, but I bet you can guess what happened. When I moved up the honey frames from super #2 (positions 2 and 8) I forgot to replace the open space with new frames. And the bees filled every square inch with comb and gobs of honey. What a stupid thing to do...and what a mess! Here's a pic of some of the clean-up effort. There's some good comb honey there for sure, but a lot of it had larvae. Edit: I forgot to add that I presume the upper super didn't get drawn as I expected because of the resources the girls were devoting to the large gaping holes down below.

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

cant help but :rolling: :rolling::rolling:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Except for the bees, we're all human. :grin:

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I'm not as mean as riverrat I wont laugh at your goofs. But you have to admire the girls and there thinking and reasoning. The bees traveling the supers after your last visit come across 2 big holes! They think no big problem, we have the technology, we can rebuild it. Then you come back and see what you have done and ponder, what the heck do i do now?
    New comb is extreamly fragile as you have discovered so if you where going to try to save the comb let the bees draw it out and cap the cells. Or cut it off of one frame then remove the comb while it is still attached to the next comb beside it. Trim the comb so a frame can be placed around the comb them slide elastics to hold the comb in the frame as you cut the brace comb holding it to frame of comb it's attached to.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't make silly mistakes like that!
    (I just turn boxes upside down and dump all the frames on the ground). :lol:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Oops! :eek:

(that's really a good picture, though)

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am with my bud Perry. Old beekeeper and beekeepers with beards just don't make those kinds of mistakes :wink:.

8. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I did that the other day. I had to supers stacked on top of each other, (that was full of bees). I picked up the top one and the bottom one stuck to it, and I didn't realize that until I was in midair between where I picked them up and the top of the hive. That's when the bottom box decided to turn lose, turn upside down, and crash to the ground sending bees a buzzing.

Im glad some of you old timers are so good that you never make mistakes, but where I come from, we all make stupid mistakes! :lol:

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I can only remember one bad mistake working bees.:roll: Trying to rob a hive of Midnight,German Black cross bees, wearing a straw hat with a Mosquito net,brown cotton gloves,flannel shirt, overalls that are open on the sides, and no underwear.:eek: All the other mistakes i've made wear minor.:lol: Jack

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To Bad so Sad you didn't have a video camera running It would have been a great movie. I can feel you pain Jack.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I hate when that happens.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would almost think perry should dish up some perry pie:grin:

13. BhaktiBee

BhaktiBee New Member

​um ... OUCH!