Good hive spot

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I hope you can see this pic good... it is a drawn map of my location approx. 300 yards by 300 yards wide highlighting certin features for you. In this area the yellow stars are fruit trees, the blue are flowers, and the green checks are the houses ok with my bees when it is all set up. My question for you is where do i put the hive. On the map there is an orange " X " that is just in the woods near my house. Now there is a big path leading out of the woods as well as other trails through there, but is this spot good for getting to the nector sources for the bees? I picked this spot becuase it's close to my house, protected from wind rain and snow and i think good for them to go gather thier nector. The grey scribble is woods. I don't want to put it near the other houses especially since this is all my family ( all the houses and land, even the hay feilds ) and we all walk to and from our houses to one anothers, and this orange " X " hive spot is out of highly trafficed area. Thank you for reading this far and thanks for your help.
    P.S. enlarge for better view

Attached Files:

• 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      630.9 KB
      Views:
  2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like a good place. I prefer to have morning sun and evening shade for my bees.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Not sure of the orientation of your map, but it is "traditional" to face the hive east or south. I'm not sure if this is to face them into the morning sun, or to keep their backs to the prevailing winds.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Looks pretty nice to me. Keep in mind that your bees will forage for nectar and pollen up to 3-5 miles out from thier hive in all directions. A few fruit trees nearby are nice, but most of their food will come from miles around.

5. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member