Good Idea or Bad?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't remember ever seeing this discussed before? I have thought about putting numbers or marks on brood boxes and supers for each hive. So when i extract honey i know which hive it came from and put it back on that hive or store it for that hive until it's needed, and the same for brood boxes. This would cut down on spreading disease from one hive to another. I haven't thought this through, but sounds like a good idea for those beeks with a few hives.I see where it might not work for beeks with 50 + hives because of the storage and extra equipment needed. Anyway it sounds like a good idea to me, what do you think? Jack

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I know of beekeepers that keep equipment separated by bee yards use. Most feel that because the bees drift between hives and rob out week or dead hives that could have died because of diseases that the pathogens are global to the hives located in the yard and vigilance is needed in watching for disease before it spreads to other hives.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

By painting honey supers in certain colours I know to which yard I have to return them after the extraction is over.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is my understanding Jack that during the worst day of American foul brood that some folks actually did exactly what you describe. Likely something doable for folks with smaller numbers or if you did extracting on location (which a lot of folks use to do rather routinely). The big folks would have a difficult time with the logistic of this kind of plan... likely couldn't even manage to get the same frames back into their original boxes.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I know my bees wouldn't cooperate with such a plan. I usually have a few hives which go gangbusters and require several supers each, while others are just dinks and only need one or two. Then what happens when you do a split? Or combine two weak colonies? I look out at my colonies and the boxes are all different colors on every hive, yet each hive began as a single color. And for all the times I've re-arranged boxes, I've probably swapped frames even more!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't know indy if my girls would cooperate or not but I do tend to shuffle frames and level hives (sometimes several times a year) so I myself would not do this simply because it adds another level of complexity to an already difficult task.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Brooks, good thread. I can see value in marking the brood boxes. As for the supers, I wasn't able to keep up with where they went back on with just four hives.

Indy, you mean like this :lol: :
    rubiks cube.jpg

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

:lol: That's a good one!