Good news for a change

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by efmesch, Jun 22, 2013.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

2. Ray

Ray Member

Thanks, efmesch. I hadn't heard that euphemism before. Monsanto, Beeologics and the IAPV virus, makes it a very apt expression.
    IMO, CCD and a host of other honeybee issues are a result of poor diet (monoculture), shipping stress, and residual pesticides. I also think there is an issue with utilizing a tropical stain of bees in a temperate environment. I also believe that the mite problem is a result of chemically supported populations of honeybees.
    Off my soapbox now.
    Thank you, Prof. Ilan Sela and anyone else trying to cure the CCD issue.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My only concern here would be, Is the cure going to cost 50.00 per hive from Monsanto, where it would have cost 1.00 per hive from Beeologics??

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I just went on the Monsanto website and typed "remembee" into their search engine, no results. If, as that article states, it is now on the market to assist farmers, where is it?

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I remember when IAPV was supposedly linked to CCD, then it turned out that it wasn't really and that the only reason it appeared to be is because CCD destroys the immune system of the bees after which they are afflicted by nearly every virus and bacteria imaginable. But too many CCD colonies were found without IAPV for a conclusive link to be made. So they found a treatment for IAPV, good, but not the CCD cure the article claims it to be.

6. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

..."However, the treatment uncovered by Sela can save the world’s bee population, enabling farmers to continue to grow these crops without problems."

Wow, he sounds like a super-hero. God's gift to beekeepers, farmers and humanity itself. Maybe he'll patent healthy bees and we'll all owe him royalties. Typical. :grin:

7. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Ray, why would you say that the mite problem is a result of chemically supported populations of bees? Very clearly varroa is a mite that did not co-evolve with Apis mallifera, and hence they have little in the way of natural defenses against it. These mites were introduced to honey bees from a bee in south east Asia, where they parasitise a different species of bee. It is interesting to note that CCD has only become a real problem since the neonix class of pesticides has been introduced by monsanto.