Good ole #13

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 22, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Was scything one of my yards today and though that I might as well check #13 (not making that up, #13).
    This hive had gone queenless over winter but seeing as I had queens ordered I was just going to requeen so I left it be. Well, as previously mentioned I had to cancel my order so I figured I would give it a frame of brood. I did that on the 11th or 12th (forgot to write it down :oops: ) and made sure it had eggs on the frame. There was absolutely no sign of any eggs, larvae, or capped brood of any kind in the hive when I did this.
    Here is what I found today:
    Box full of bees.
    3 frames with somewhat scattered capped drone cells, mostly along the top few rows of the frames.
    The frame I had shifted into the hive had 2 sides of beautifully capped worker cells, and here's the kicker, 2 about to be capped queen cells hanging off the bottom of the frame (in classic swarm position).
    My questions are:
    Are these cells viable?
    Would bees shift eggs and draw out these cells on the bottom of the frame?
    Does my grade 12 math teacher deserve a slap because I have to ask this question?
    By my cypherin, a fresh egg, say on the 12th, should be an emerging queen on the 28th. These cells should already have been capped shouldn't they? They must be duds?
    If so, what's my next move, another frame off brood?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sounds like you got a queen that is laying that was in the hive before you put the fresh frame of eggs in. Is the hive crowded they may be starting queen cells to swarm just a thought

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't believe there is any queen in this hive, if there is, she's a drone layer for sure! Maybe laying workers, but then I didn't see any sign of eggs or anything today so whatever was laying those unfertilized eggs seems to have stopped since I put the frame with eggs in.
    This hive is a double deep with the top box being full of bees so I doubt that it's preparing to swarm.
    Stumps me! :confused:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Egg layed on the 12th would be capped on the 21st or 22nd, depending on temp. I don't think tropical Nova Scotia would make it go faster. I'm thinking those good cells will be capped by Tues.

5. rast

rast New Member

This is where location comes into play. If I had a hive that was queenless in Jan/Feb. (my winter), it would be a dead out today.
    My next thought is what would another frame of eggs/larva hurt?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'll wait a few more days and if I have to, I'll add another frame of brood.
    Why would they move an egg to the bottom of the frame and not just build it off the side (emergency cell) like they normally would/should? If these cells are viable it will mean that they moved eggs.
    Also, are you guys saying that area and location will/can effect the time developement rate of a queen cell? If they are supposed to be capped on day "X", can they delay that due to weather or some other circumstance and still produce a viable queen?
    :confused:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Normal is 16 days from egg laying. Hot can mean 15 days. Cold can mean 17.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Iddee, you have put a little hope in what I feared was a bad draw! :thumbsup:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

most times Perry you should allow a few more days than a few less in your hypothetical calendar. a lot of things will stretch out the process from egg layed to laying queen. a queen may emerge early but weather and maturation often seem to make the entire process longer rather than shorter (at least that is my own experience).