good ole us airways not

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Oct 18, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Well we had purchased our plane tickets to go to san deigo. AS most of you have probably read and we was unaware at the time of the purchase that our son was trying to fight it through marine boot camp with the pneumonia. So our trip has to be rescheduled. We paid 800 for 3 round trip tickets and a 4th one way for the new marine to fly back with us. When we called US Airways to make a change of plans. It was discovered that there call center is in the phillipenes and with broken english got told there would be a 600 plus fee for making the change. when we explained the situation I got a sorry there is othing we can do deal with it. at this price we just as well throw them out and buy new. I went through 3 supervisors before I was finally transfered back to the states to a guy that said if we can get medicl documentation they would look into a refund. Now some of you have been in the military you know how easy that is we are on our 2nd day of trying to get this. I think its a heck of a way for the airlines to deal with the military and there families. I could see the charge if we said we up and desided to not go but under the circumstances I would think they would wave the fees. ( the rat steps down off his soap box and gently slides it back under the bed)

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sorry they are giving you the run around RR! I hope it gets worked out quickly.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Here's a point to remember. When calling customer at any company, first thing you say is, "Connect me with someone in the U.S.A". They will do it. I never talk to them overseas. I have read that they are required to make the transfer, but have no proof of that.

PS. Hope you get it fixed.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I had to repeatedly ask for each one telling me no for them to conect me to a supervisor. On the 3rd or fourth transfer I ended up back in the states with a guy telling me we need medical records either way Im going to have to pay the 600 plus dollars and hope I can jump through enough hoops to get a refund. I dontmind paying a penalty but when our government is subsidising airlines and airports with our tax mone chargine a 75% penalty is alittle much

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

They love all their new fees, and a $150 change fee even applies to frequent flyers like me that fly every week. In fact I have heard it is business fliers like me tha pay the most of them, because often we have to make the changes no matter what.

But, not sure how far you are a from local airport, but go to the USAir counter, you are more likely to get sympathy from a local person. Ask for station manager if the front desk won't help. They can override the fees if they have to , have argued my way around it many time, but sometimes you just get a grinch.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Heres and update on US Airways . They orginally had told us it was going to be an extra 600 to reschedule. well Tylers grad date is dec 2nd we went to rebook today after getting confirmation on his date yesterday nope its almost 1200 to reschedule and if we can get paperwork from the Marines on his illness they will refund 400. We originally paid 800 for the tickets. We are now in the process of booking flights on a different airline which is going to be cheaper than us air even if they refund the 400. And to think our tax dollars bailed them out of bankruptcy awhile back. Sure love the way the repay the favor to the tax payers

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Airlines and banks, the most ungrateful bunch of #@*&% considering the bailouts.
    Sorry to hear of the trouble you've had Rat, it's not right!

8. rast

rast New Member

Not right! Stay on that soapbox! Email or call your State Rep. and /or Senator, election year coming up ya know for a lot of them. Squeak loud and long, it works, specially doing military personnel wrong.

9. rast

rast New Member

Got my dander up! Give us email addresses and lets everybody email em. Airline, Rep's and Senators. Maybe even your 5pm news station. When they see it may be all over the US and maybe even overseas, they might pay attention.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast writes;
    And to think our tax dollars bailed them out of bankruptcy awhile back. Sure love the way the repay the favor to the tax payers

tecumseh:
    well actually the tax payer has bailed out the airlines on numerous occasion. do you really think given the price of an airline ticket that the profit would even pay for the airport security involved in getting you and your bag on a plane?

at this point you are not a tax payer, you are a consumer. I am not certain why as the parents of military person you might think you deserve special attention or service? I would guess that comment sounds hard edged??? but I suspect a lot of 'our' problems is about folks who ALL need some privilege that their fellow citizen does not enjoy. Special privilege like tax loopholes will be the ultimate ruin of us all.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Tec. Im not looking for special treatment it just seams rediculous that when changing schedules on an airline it cost more than what a new ticket would cost to make the switch. Something is broke in the system :drinks:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast write:
    Something is broke in the system

tecumseh:
    well we are absolutely in agreement there.

the airlines now act like the railroad in the pre 'anti trust' day. check the price of fares. why does it cost more to fly one way than round trip to a lot of destinations? why does it cost more to fly 300 miles than 3000 miles? what with ALL that? I say if it looks like monopoly, and smells like monopoly and acts like monopoly then it may well be just that???

I also suspect business 'ethics' has significantly changed for the worse in recent time. In the old days some airline employee would have just written 'the change' off to customer good will. Evidently there ain't much of 'that' these days.

This family flies a lot... some airlines do seem more customer oriented that others. The down side with airlines is everyone does not enjoy the full platter of airlines to choose from <which is of course is at least one reason some airlines can act like monopolies.

13. rast

rast New Member

Tec, actually those were Rats quotes not mine.
    Personal opinion (which I am entitled to), I do think that our military personnel and immediate family should be entitled to special treatment.
    I agree!

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I could have had a field day and piled it on ole rast thru tec but Im a nice guy at least today :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks rast for keeping me straight here <it is a full time job, but someone has to do it.

ps... I don't really have any issue with folks expressing opinion contrary to my own. actually I think folks should express such stuff openly and then afterwards open their minds up when folks starting adding the but this and but that. i suspect (my opinion) it is the surest and cheapest path to personal growth.

16. rast

rast New Member

HMMNN, I can't recall filling out that job application. Whats the pay scale? :D

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

rast, what ever the pay is, you will earn every penny. :lol: :lol: . Jack