Good or Bad Omen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Well, this year has started...just can't figure out whether it was good or bad. :confused:

About 1:30am I woke up thinking it was kind of cold and I heard a "slurping" sound from the kitchen. The cat was at the foot of the bed, and I thought, "No. A water leak!".

Got up and went to the kitched to find out the door had blown open. One of us (me) hadn't closed it tightly. That's why it seemed cold: It was! As I was closing the door I saw something move around the corner into the dining room. I thought it was the cat until I realized she was still on the bed.

Figured it must be a feral cat, and finally traced it to the study. Was going to pick it up and put it out, but figured I'd turn on the light. The "cat" was actually an oppossum! Apparently the slurping sound was the critter getting a drink from our cat's water bowl.

Well, I herded it back into the kitchen where we played "keep away" around the kitchen island. Finally I set up a row of chairs to the now open door and chased the opossum around the island and out the door.

This morning my wife (BeekeepersHelper) said I was lucky the critter didn't "faint" or "play opossum". :shock: Hadn't thought of that.

So, bad omen to heat the house with the door open and entertain a critter in the wee hours of the year. Good omen, I didn't have to figure out what to do with an opossum that pretended to faint. Maybe I should just go to sleep for 364 days and try again in 2011. :D

Walt

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Your New Years dinner walked right into the house, and you "shot the gift horse in the mouth".... :lol:

It was a good omen, right up to the point that you screwed it up and turned it into a bad omen. :roll:

Next week when that thing is ripping through your garbage bags, just remember if it wasn't for you, that thing should of been a pile of clean picked bones.....in the garbage can...... :rolling:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Getting it to faint is a good thing. Then you just pick it up by the tail and carry it out, as if it's dead. Lay it in the yard and in 30 minutes it's gone. Or send it to Bjorn for his next big dinner. :twisted: :D

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

We used to go out clubbin opossum on a summer night as kids. If we knew a teacher or someone else we did not like was not home, like on vacation, we would shove the dead opossum in their mailbox. The mail carriers would not touch the thing, and after a few days baking in the sun, they would explode the mailbox. And what a mess....... :lol:

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

YUCK! Bjorn, you must have a mean streak a mile wide.... that's just nasty! I really really really hate it when possums get in the house, they just creep me out.

We had an old farm house we rented on a cattle farm (worked off part of the rent) and it seemed like there were always possum sneaking in somehow and the little boogers never wanted to leave. I tried carrying one out on a shovel one night after it had sneaked into the kitchen porch/mudroom and the nasty little critter came running up the shovel handle hissing at me :shock: I think that was about the fastest I've ever beaten a critter to death with a shovel...it doesn't pay to scare me :aikido:

We even had one of them crawl up into the furnace vent and stay there. They are some kind of stubborn!

I'm surprised it ran out so easy for you Walt! But I'm glad you didn't have to beat it to death with the broom.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It could have been much worse, just think skunk.

G3

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Not mean.....just stupid!....... :lol:

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I've done some reading on animal "spirit guides" who appear to you at times with significant meaning. I bought a book on it after a young moose followed me through and out of the woods in Maine. So I looked up "opossum":

"The opossum teaches us how to use appearances. Sometimes it is necessary to "play dead." Sometimes it is necessary to put up a particular front to succeed most easily and effectively."

Like pretending you don't care when someone is taunting or criticizing you.

"Opossum has an energy that helps us use appearances to our greatest benefit and that helps us to recognize when others are creating false impressions.... When oppossum shows up, ask yourself: Are you acting or about to act in an inappropriate manner? Do you need to strengthen your appearance? Are others putting up false appearances in front of you? Do you need to divert attention from some activity, or are others trying to divert your attention?"

It's fun to think about. Take what you want and discard the rest.

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I have what I call the possum and coon pit. I keep it full in the winter with possum bodies and when spring arrives the coons start filling it up. gthey just gotta mess with the bee hives.
    Now that i have now typed this I relize i've been wasteing good bait.
    How do you say Youte sickles. well it is on the cold side here.

Personally I consider it a good omen as the possum wasn't :yahoo: laying next to the cat in bed with you.

:D Al

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That possum pit may be OK, but I've got a coon pit. Some people call it an oven. You are wasting some mighty fine meat when you throw a coon away.

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Hobie, I think your book hit it right on. Running around the house bare foot in my underwear was "inappropriate behaviour". :lol: Also, given my attire, I do need to "strengthen my appearance", but I certainly wasn't "putting up false appearances of me". :rolling:

Al, hadn't thought of the opossum in bed with us, or G3's "skunk". It'll probably take all day to get those visions erased. :D

Spent most of yesterday looking under beds and behind cabinets for other lurking critters such as bobcats, coyotes, and mountain lions. You can never be too careful. ;)

Walt

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Hi, Beekeeper's helper here, the one who was snug in bed with the cat while the beekeeper was chasing 'possum in his underwear--no, I mean the beekeeper was in his underwear, I'm not sure what the 'possum was wearing.
    I love to cook, but I draw the line at killing and dressing out a 'possum. Anyway, I have never determined what wine to serve with sauted 'possum.

13. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

At the point you are ready to eat the possum, you should be hammered to the point that any wine will do...... :thumbsup:

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"wild" grape wine... :thumbsup:

15. rast

rast New Member

My Granny and Granddaddy ate possum and lets not get into any discussion about genetics.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your grandparents lived through the depression, when possum was considered normal fare. They were likely very glad to get it.

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I have an aunt who gets upset every time I tell her about the coons I have killed that were messing with the beehives. She thinks it just awful that todays women can't/don't know how to cook. She considers coon and wood chuck great eatting at supper time, dinner to you city folks.

:mrgreen: Al

18. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I never have figured out that "supper" / "dinner" thing.

19. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Hobie,
    It's supper when the family sits down to the table. It's dinner if you have a guest (preferably invited and NOT a 'possum).

20. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Well at this old farm boys house excluding Kare who is a city girl. Says she isn't but talks like one and can see the towns water tower from her folks living room window.

Breakfast: The first meal you eat when you wake up and get out of bed.

Lunch: The meal you eat at mid day when at work or working out in the feild.
    Dinner: The mid day ,meal when you are at home and the whole family sits down to a platter of fried chicken, home made egg noodles, Home made mashed taters, Peas with those tiny new taters in a cream suace, home made biskets and pie. AKA Sunday dinner.

Supper the meal you eat at the end of the day, best done as a family but some times during haying, combineing or picking corn the guys will eat it very very late.

Picnic is when the whole family sets down outdoors some place to a basket of fried chicken tater salada and other tastey goodies.

It is still lunch when Maw brings a basket of cold cut sandwiches, tater salada and a jug of Ice tea to the field and you eat under a handy shade tree.
    Never did under stand city folks wanten to mess up the names.

:mrgreen: Al