Good year for Ironweed

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Aug 7, 2013.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I just made an observation this evening and thought I would share it here on the forum. I have had some native Vernonia Ironweed that I planted in my yard. It has never flourished, but has attracted some beautiful butterflies. It has been a very unusual year, weather wise, here. With all the rain we have had this year, the seed has germinated all over the yard. The mature plants must be producing some nice nectar, because my bees are working it like crazy. The hives are about 15 ft away from the Ironweed and this is the first time I have seen them interested in the Ironweed. This is great, because there is nothing out there for the bees to forage at this time.
    The weather man is predicting another 1-2 inches tomorrow and a high of 77 degrees for August 8th!

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I first noticed Ironweed last year. It was listed as a minor nectar plant for our area and I'd never really noticed it before I got bees. It was so hot and dry the blooms were all dusty but this year they're gorgeous and prolific.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have never seen bees on our iron weed, and very few working our goldenrod in this area? The aster, wild mint weeds, and Dutch clover, are a different story. We should have a good fall flow when it stops raining (not complaining about the rain), This area has got between 8" to 10" of rain in a little over a week now, with more coming the next 5 days.I have a acre of Buckwheat in full bloom, but the bees don't get to work it because of the rain. Jack