Beekeeping Forums banner

Got a be call today.

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  G3farms 
#1 ·
I got a honeybee call today but the owners didn't want any demolition done so I'm trying a trapout. It is down low where an old hose bib/outside water spigot was installed. There is a hole in the top foundation block where it meets the plate. I made the cone about 8" long and sealed up all around it. I stayed and watched for a couple of hours and saw many bees gather on the outside but only a few actually come out of the cone. These are obviously field bees returning. I put a frame of capped brood with honey at the top of the frames and 1 frame of newly laid eggs in a 5 frame nuc.

The owners said these bees arrived on Tuesday so I'm thinking this is a small swarm. They might not have much of anything built up yet though I did see pollen on the field bees. Luckily it is close to home so I can observe them on a regular basis. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some Great Stuff and replace the duct tape I used because I just don't trust it.

All the bees seemed to be gathering below the cone so I postioned my homeade nuc real close to that area plus I propped the top open about 3/8 of an inch. Some bees went in and I saw them fanning.

It's a crude 1st attempt but I know I didn't destroy or alter anyones property.....yet....lol

Wood Brick Brickwork Gas Concrete

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice....okay, I have not done trap outs yet. I have seen this set up a couple of times here. Do you make the cone or buy it? Does it act like a one-way tunnel? Also, are you putting lemon grass oil or something else in as a lure? Is the nuc full of frames/foundations? How long, on average, will you leave the trap? I have plenty of nuc boxes now...just need to get one of those cones... Lot of questions I suppose I could have used search box...but, it's right here, so thought I would ask....DISregard...I found a step by step right there in the swarm/cut out/trap out section of the forums...good luck with your trap out....

#7 ·
I made the cone out of some hardware cloth. Very simple to do. The bees see it as a one way tunnel.
For bait I put a frame of eggs and a frame of brood/nurse bees. For the brood comb I used a nasty comb that my newly mated queen learned how not to lay eggs in. The eggs came from a known good layer.

#9 ·
Make the cone out of number 8 hardware cloth. Iddee has a video of making one and how big to make the entrance. Yep acts just like a minnow trap except backwards, the bees are already trapped inside of the wall and you are wanting to trap the outside of the wall. The cone will not alwaysbe a perfect fit and might have to be cut to fit. It is always nice to have a flat surface to place it onto.

Bait the trap hive with a frame or two of brood WITH EGGS, or a nuc with eggs, or a queen right nuc, or a nuc with a queen cell, or you could substitute a nuc for a full size hive.

It can take up to 60 days or so to complete a trap out.

#12 ·
Is it possible that these bees are all gone already?
I watched for 1/2 hour today and there is nothing coming out of my cone, just orientation flights around my nuc box and bees coming and going from the nuc.

This was a 2 day old swarm according to the homeowner.

Should I pull out and seal up the hole or leave it for a week or so?

#17 ·
I looked at my queenless bait hive today and found 4 queen cups. But on 1 picture I could swear I see eggs. Could I have transported these eggs to the trapout? They'd be a full 3 day and 4 hours old.

Still very early in the process. I did bang on the wall and nothing came out, all activity is with the bait hive.

To be continue'd.....

Beehive Honeycomb Apiary Pollinator Insect
Beehive Pollinator Honeycomb Insect Arthropod

Attachments

#18 ·
Update. Trap is still at the site. I haven't seen a bee leave the cone since day 1.
The homeowner is getting antsy but his wife is ok with it. It is very residential and on the front of the house.

Two weeks ago I saw 3 or 4 dead bees in the cone so I shook them out. I haven't seen anymore dead bees in the cone since.

There is now a laying queen in my box. They were given a frame of eggs the day it started (5/10/12). According to the queen calender they're a week early for eggs.

I'm hoping I got the resident queen. 24 days seems pushing it to develop a queen, get her mated, and start laying but I assume it's possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.