Got a call for a tree cut out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yankee11, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Got a call today from a contractor building a subdivision. A tree has blown over and has a hive in it. He is going to destroy
    the hive if someone doesn't come get them. (he doesn't want to) Well thats all he had to say to me. Gonna go attempt it Saturday.

This will be my first tree cut out. I have a brand new chain saw I have never used, until now.:razz:

Any advise on tree cut outs.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

take pictures, don't forget smoker ( lit preferredly ), bee suit or equalvilant rubber bands and while some like to set up in nuc's 10 frame hive is probably ideal for the potential number of bees, remember your only interested in framing brood not honey, if you want feed it back to them once hived. Of course make certian you got the queen, found the queen clip cages are very advantageous.
    Otherwise anjoy the experience, and be safe, and welcome to beekeeping.
    Barry

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Sounds like good advice to me....please take photos so we can share the fun with you....

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'd be very careful with the new chainsaw. I'd probably only use it to remove the log above and below the colony, then a sledge and wedge to actually open the part with the bees.
    Plus, and I'm only guessing here, but it seems to me that honey would make terrible bar lubricant.:lol: ...

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Once you've cut off the top of the tree above the colony, and from the bottom, use the chainsaw to score the tree lengthwise then using wedges to seperate along the score lines to expose the combs if you can. I have seen where the use of a chainsaw has seemingly put the hive into a sleep, also seen where the use of a chainsaw has made the bees act like terrorists so again smoke and suit otherwise enjoy.
    DON't FORGET THE PICTURES lol
    Barry

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't forget to take pictures (in case you've already forgotten) :lol:
    A new chainsaw to, lucky guy.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Since the tree has fallen, be sure to check the hive closely. Most times all is lost to the point of SHB taking over in a day or two. I use the chainsaw to open the tree up completely (just the way I do it), just don't plunge the bar all the way into the comb, you can feel when you have cut just into the hollow of the log. If it is a big log be extra careful, it could roll over on you. I like to cut the tree and load on a trailer if at all possible, bring it to the house and do the cut out at my leisure.

Good luck with it, and be careful.

[video=youtube;Idx9VWNCWRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idx9VWNCWRY&feature=plcp[/video]

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, Cut out was a blast. Lot of work, but a blast. Took one on the chin. Was focused on running the chain saw and had my chin pressed against mt veil.

I have a couple questions and got some good pictures I will be posting.
    We left the box strapped in the exact place of tree we cut out with the brood in it. 5 frames of brood. Not sure we got the queen in the box though. While we got a lot of bees in the box they are still balling up in the tree in front of box. Looks like a swarm looks. So I am thinking the queen is in that ball. Heres the plan.

We are gong back tonight after dark and try to get that ball of bees and put them in the box and bring them home,

Questions.

Will the queen make her way into the box where the brood is. The ball of bees is just at the entrance of the trap box?

Would it be a good idea to spay the ball of bees with sugar water to keep them from flying, bush them into a container and dump them into the box with the brood?

AND, if (by chance) we do not get the Queen, will the make one from the brood once we bring them home.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Drool, drool, waiting on the pics! :lol:
    I would not be concerned about your plan of attack. Mist that ball of bees with some suger syrup and pop them into the box with brood, sounds like what I would try.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Scoop the bees up and put them in the box, then mist with syrup if you want.

The queen might go into the the box but might not.

Can't wait for the pics either.

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

OK, went back to get bees and majority did not go in the box so we spayed them with sugar water and just started brushing them in a dust pan and scooping with our hands and dumping in the box with the brood. I would be shocked if we got the queen. So many cracks and crevises in that old tree.

SO,

I am needing some advise on what to do from here. I am feeding them inside their hive. They are in a 10 frame deep with 5 frames of brood, comb, pollen etc. (we put the whole hive in the 5 frames. Didn't really have any comb leftover.) and 5 empty frames with foundation. Gonna add a entrance reducer today.

Lets pretend I did not get the queen. (Did get a lot of bees though)

1. Will they make a new queen from their brood?
    2. How long do I give them before I need to order one if they won't make one.
    3. Can you kinda give me a time line of what steps to take and when, to get these guys going on the right track.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Check them in a week to see if they have made queen cells............

If yes...you did not get the queen or they are superceding her.....leave them alone.

If no....did you see any eggs or the queen?
    if yes....leave them alone
    if no.....they could be queenless, if they are indeed queenless then all of the viable eggs
    are now too old to be made into queen cells, add a queen, queen cell, frame of
    brood with eggs or think about combining.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Might want or really need to feed them 1 to 1 syrup to get them building comb again, it does take a bunch of wax to make repairs to the cut out combs.

14. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just walked down to check on them and this is what I see.

The box on the left is where we put the tree cut out. The box on the right is a very small swarm we cought. They have been doing fine. This looks like a swarm? Could they have left the box frm last night. it has brood in it. Guess I'm gonna have to suit up and look inside the new guys.

2012-06-24_10-51-12_536.jpg

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that could be the queen and a small cluster of bees from the tree, that found their way over to the bottom of the hive on the right. I guess I should ask if the hive is near the tree where you did the cut out?

I would check on the hive on the left to see if there is a queen in it, then check the ball of bees for a queen. Pull them off into a deep and sort through them or rake them off onto a sheet and put a hive in front of them, see if they will march in while looking for the queen. Might want to combine the left hive with the ball of bees.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

......Of course I am assuming that there are still bees in the hive on the left.

17. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

No, the cut out tree was 15 miles away. I don't know the status of the cut out box just yet. Bee suit is washing from all the stings and sawdust from yesterday.

Gonna put suit on after while and see what I can find out in that new box. Will get back with with findings.

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are there still bees flying in and out of the cut out box?

19. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Yes, there are. not a lot.

I lifted the fjar eeder and there were bees on the bottom of it as well..