got a few questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thatguy324, Mar 19, 2013.

1. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

okay first is i am starting a beehive soon and i want local bees so i am gonna catch a swarm and i was looking for advice on this.one more thing when catching swarms how do you know if they are "killer bees" and if they are will the normal gear for beekeeping keep you safe?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Go to youtube and search for JPthebeeman. Watch a few of his videos. Then come back and ask specific questions and we will walk you through it.

As for Africanized bees, they will tell you. Then you requeen the hive. It is illegal to keep them in the US. You are required to requeen them with European bees. Requeening is simple, and we can help you with that, too.

PS. Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

3. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

so worst case i just have to requeen the killer bees and then they become more docile right after a few months

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yes; dont feed the sensationalism; I think the are better called Africanized bees. They sure dont get this far north.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You got it. First, the chances of getting them is likely 1 in 10,000 or less. Then a simple queen swap fixes it.

6. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

"Africanized bees" are a result of us humans messing with something we should left alone

oh and one more question if i did however unlikely it is find a killer bee swarm as long as i have the bee suit on i will be okay

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Any bee/wasp/hornet/yellow jacket "can" be a killer if you have a bad reaction to the sting/bite. African Honey Bees are just vary aggressive and not as much fun to deal with, not that EHB can't be aggressive but there is a difference. Jim

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Africanized" bees are that way naturally. The only way we messed up was by an accidental release here in the Americas during an experiment.
    A regular bee suit will afford you some protection, but from what I have read you don't want to be messing with them any longer than you have to, they are very persistent.

And........Welcome to our forum. :hi:

9. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

bringing them over here didn't do much when we cross bred them to handle different temps they spread like wild fire

oh i am not allergic to bees stepped on a nest fastest i EVER ran in my life still got stung bout 8 times

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There has been many more Americans killed by Yellow Jackets than by Africanized honeybees. Even they are not likely to be mean as a swarm, and will get more protective as they build a new colony. It will be a gradual thing if you are working them regularly. Yes, a suit will protect you. Remember, only Africanized bees are left in South America. Beekeepers are working them daily and harvesting tons of honey.

11. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

thanks for your time

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think some folks seem to have forgotten that prior to the days of animal selection and beekeeper directed breeding programs that the european honey bee was a pretty nasty little bee. the genetics folks now tell us that the colonization of the european bee in Europe took place in three waves, all of which originated in Africa. so are there african genes in European bees? well it does appear so.

to somewhat answer your question you can measure natural comb size (the mm width of ten cells) and look at the bottom edge of natural comb (africanized bees build a comb with a very straight bottom edge and european bees the bottom edge is somewhat wavy) and have a pretty good indication of degree of africanization. adult africanized bees are somewhat smaller since their natural cell size is also smaller.

13. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

well i am gonna catch a swarm soon i wanted to be safe that is why i asked this question i am in alabama there are "killer bees" or "Africanized bees" down here i am gonna call the local fire department or pest control and ask them to put me on there swarm list
    this link talks about it http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/swarms-free-bees/

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

You'll do fine. Swarms are pretty docile, being mainly concerned with finding a new home.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

but to put a twist into Gypsi message not all swarms are created equal (or more exactly issue for the same reason)...

absconding swarms (and the africanized bees is fairly famous for this characteristic) will NOT follow Gypsi description in the above post.

almost all swarms in the 'primary swarming season' should however.

16. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

so if there was a swarm of "Africanized bees" they will be too attacking people that come near them

but the chance of me finding that is pretty slim

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Better chance of winning the lottery.

More to the point, better chance of finding a "hot" colony of European bees than finding Africanized.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have had to kill a hot queen, after moving their hive twice in 2 days, and arguing with her for a month, and putting in a queen excluder to find her. In that time (3 months) I think I got 6 stings, with these bees in my garden and on my lot. The queen was cordovan, but had surely mated african, her offspring were hotter than a firecracker.

In other words, don't believe what you see on tv about african bees.

19. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Somewhere back in the mid to late 90's the state of Texas was placing blue swarm traps along highways to monitor the spread of the Africanized bees. In that time period there were quite a few news media stories about Africanized bees attacking people. A few people were killed by these bees. To paraphrase PerryBee, 'they are relentless in their attack.' In recent years there are almost no incidents of these bees attacking anyone. Either they have been bred down into a more domestic bee, or the news media have moved on more important news, suck as what athletes are on steroids or which celebrity has received the most plastic surgeries or which Kardasion is in the bathroom. In either case, I think Iddee is correct in that one in more likely to be struck by lightning than to catch a swarm of Africanized bees. Remember the swarm you catch is one of thousands if not millions of swarms in your state.

To refresh your memory, I am less that 200 miles from the Mexican border. I live in AHB territory.

20. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Iddee points out that beekeepers in South America work with Africanized bees every day. I will point out that my most productive hive is my hottest hive. For months, I have been thinking about changing out this queen, but when I see how productive they are, I just think "well I will wait and see." A year ago I thought this hive queen was from Africanized stock, but now I think like Iddee, that this is just a hot European queen. If you have a hole in your armor these girls will find it. They even crawl on the ground, which means they crawl up your shoes and into your pant legs if possible. These girls will teach you how to correctly prepare for inspections.