Got beekeep gloves dirty today

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kebee, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

Got gloves dirty today with smoker still going only had to use to get bees back to put super back on, the 8 &1/2 size. Oh boy did I enjoy looking into them today, my one hive, sorry no pictures, I sweat like a stuck hog and can hardly see when I get through, anyway the bottom box had good brood and around 3 frams of honey and the top super was full of honey. It sure did tast good, they has tied the frams from bottom to top and have to pry them out, scraped the comb off and some had honey in it and tasted it through the veil, put the rest in front of hive and they starded getting it up. I installed another super with frams on it. My back is kind of hurting now from lifting the supper off to see the bottom, had to kind of swing it back on after. The second hive is not as strong as the first but they are doing good also, they had 3 frams on the top started but only one capp but two with honey. The bottom had only two filled and capped and two beeing filled looked like the rest were being used as brooded. I am so proud of my bees they are doing better than I though and I just might get a little honey this year. Love those girls. Oh yes the second hive that had been so mean were gentle as could be.

kebee

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

In other words, today........................................................................was a good day! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
    Breathed some fresh air, gotta little aerobic exercise in, ate healthy, and enjoyed yourself, does it get any better?

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Back problems are an occupational hazard for beeks. SOMETIMES, you can make things a litle bit easier for yourself by standing up a hive roof and sittng on the edge while you inspect what's going on inside.
    Glad your girls are behaving the way they're supposed to. Part of it must be in credit to your having gained more experience in handling them. Keep getting those gloves dirty. When they are so dirty that you decide to do without them, you'll know you've made it. :thumbsup:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great to hear! I didn't fully believe those boxes would be that heavy until I started lifting them myself...very deceiving how much density is there...

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Fot got to add that I checked for beatles, mites and moths and found none, cannot see real good through veil, so hope it was anyway, even had all the stuff out to add to hive if I had too. Love those ladies.

kebee

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Oh boy did I enjoy looking into them today

tecumseh:
    good attitude... and just to keep you well informed any descent beekeepers gloves and suit should be somewhat soiled and should smell a bit like sweat and smoke. for some odd reason I always get a bit of a chuckle of staged pictures of beekeepers with their pearly white coveralls and new gloves. experience says that will not last for long.

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

tecumseh:
    good attitude... and just to keep you well informed any descent beekeepers gloves and suit should be somewhat soiled and should smell a bit like sweat and smoke. for some odd reason I always get a bit of a chuckle of staged pictures of beekeepers with their pearly white coveralls and new gloves. experience says that will not last for long.[/QUOTE]

AMEN TO THAT!!! Three years in; 3 pairs of gloves used up working on 4th, replaced velcro on coat twice cause they know where that 1/4" gap is, two veils down and enjoying every minute of it. :grin:

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

I think that I miss yesterday on helping the weaker hive out ,while I had them open I should have swap out 2 frams of honey loaded with bees to the weak hive, I may go into and do this tomorrow, think this will do the job.

kebee

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lo, my strongest hive is in the processing of frocing the queen down into the first brood chamber, backfilling the upper half of about 5 frames with honey, but still ( as of a week ago ) drawn out the remaining 5 outer frames. They will, and yeah there is a bit of difference between the weight of deep full of brood and a bit of honey, and a deep full of honey and no or just a bit of honey... As for dirty gloves, unless you have discovered a way to avoid getting propolis on you gloves, and then your suit/ clothing, and then your steering wheel, you obviously know something I don't---please tell me the secret lol.
    Barry

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Steering wheel" :shock: :lol: That's probably why no one has stolen my truck, they don't want to get their hands gunked up!

11. Marbees

Marbees Member

Glad you enjoy your bees kebee:thumbsup: As for gloves, dirty is right color:grin: