Got Bee's!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I picked my bee's up Tuesday and put them in the hive late yesterday afternoon, it was a success! I have 2 hives for now but I can easily see that increasing....

I emptied the packages into the hive body and put the top feeder and tops securely on. I plan to check the queens out on Saturday, if they are not out at that time should I release them?

How long does it usually take before I will need to add the additional hive bodies/supers? What signs do I need to look for to insure they have enough space?

Thanks!

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello Hog Wild,
    and congrats on the bee's. You should be seeing tyhe queen laying eggs within 4 - 7 assuming that she's been liberated ( assuming you removed the cork over the candy ). as for adding supers, or additional brood chambers, when you see bees building spurs on the top bars, ( or when thay have drawn out 8 frames of comb ), then add the additional supers, thats a fairly general concept that I personally use. Others will probably vary, but is what I do. as for more go for the gusto and enjoy.
    Barry

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I do a bit different than most beeks. When I install a package, I don't disturb them again for 7 days. Then I check for eggs. As soon as I find eggs, I stop there and close it up for another 7 days. I have never had a failure doing it that way.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you got it going on and congrats on the bees also.

I like to take a real quick peak inside just to make sure the queen is free from the cage on day 2. If she is not then dig out the candy plug almost all the way, leaving just a little for them to work at.
    In a week check for brood.

I use the 8 out of 10 frames also to super up.

Just the way I do it.

G3

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hog wild writes:
    What signs do I need to look for to insure they have enough space?

tecumseh:
    white wax (typically noted first around the top bar area) means you have young bees producing wax and you have a flow taking place. together these two indicators means the hive is growing quickly.

when the population of the hive begins working (pulling comb) of the two frames along the outer walls (this means about 80% of the box is being utilized) I would think about adding another box. if you are starting from foundation then ALWAYS place 10 frames in a 10 frame box... if you want the comb to be pull properly.