Got my new advertising ordered.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmblakeney, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I had recently gotten some business cards to hand out about free swarm removals from vistaprint. I received an offer for a pretty good price on car door magnets. I had gotten a donation from my last swarm removal and used that money to buy these.

lp.jpg

Large Car Door Magnets

Advertise while driving down the road.

I have received about 4 calls so far this year through craigslist.
    2 swarm calls, 1 captured, 1 flew away within ten mins of getting the call
    2 cutout calls, 1 waiting for the go ahead, the other turned down (four hrs away)

Anyone had any luck with anything like this?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

About the only thing I would reconsider is the "free" part of the advertisement. I would decide that after I had talked to whomever calls. If someone calls you, I would like to think that most don't expect it to be free. Your time is definately worth something at some point.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As stated on another thread, 2 men, 5 hours, 65 miles to have them leave the box for parts unknown. A few of those calls and you will regret the "FREE" portion.

4. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Well i have always put out there that I will do free swarm removals. There are a lot of people on craigslist that advertise for the same. This is for swarms only and too increase my numbers. I have hade 2 people contact me asking to sell them bees in the past week. My thinking is that when my numbers are up (on bee hives) i could sell the extra as nucs in a couple weeks to recoop some of the expense. If it gets too expensive on me i can take off the "free" part. Thanks for the replies.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have been doing free swarms removal for 35 years. We aren't saying to charge. We are saying don't advertise it as free.

HEY, MA, we got a YJ nest in the outhouse.
    Yeah, pa, I'll call j. He moves bees fur free. We'll tell him they are honeybees and maybe he'll do the YJ's after he's here. Iffen he don't, it still won't cost us anything.

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Yeah, pa, I'll call j. He moves bees fur free. We'll tell him they are honeybees and maybe he'll do the YJ's after he's here. Iffen he don't, it still won't cost us anything.

Ahhhh, I see the potential problems now. If it gets too bad I will take the free part off. I have a list of questions that I ask the potential customers to verify that it is honeybees. I also ask them to text me a pic of the cluster if its possible and they have the ability text. This is the first year I have been doing it and haven't ran into any problems yet, so I didn't think about any of those things that you guys have mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

James

7. melrose

melrose New Member

Shouldn't 'swarm' removal/capture be free??? We're talking swarm not hive/colony removal.
    I'd definitely charge if it meant going into a wall after the bees. Have paper on hand also for release of liability.
    But a swarm hanging out in a tree or on a structure, I view the call as a service to me. I'd be happy to drive a few miles to spend some time outside collecting some bees.
    Advertise 'free', just be sure to clarify the diff in swarming bees and bees that already have a home.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Shouldn't 'swarm' removal/capture be free???"

I wouldn't think so. Since when is offering a service something expected to be done for free?
    It can be if you feel the situation warrants it for you I suppose.
    I have done swarm collections for free but that decision was almost always done after assessing the situation. I also field many calls swearing they are honey bees only to drive out and find bumbles or yellow jackets (doesn't matter what questions I ask :roll:), or the bees have moved on. (Gas here is $5.25 a gallon)

I have been "offered" payment on occasion as well.

All this leads me to believe that most, repeat most, folks realize that only the sun rises for free (cynical, yes, but reality). You are providing a service that is not done by many people, place some value on that.

I remember reading in ABC XYZ or the Hive and the Honey Bee somewhere, that you should never sell your honey cheap, the bees work too hard for it to be devalued in that manner. The same should apply to beekeepers I would think. :grin:

9. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Iddee, Where do you here people talking like that? I have never heard anyone talk that way on this side of the mountain. :lol: I don't know how you guys talk over there but that sound like southern talk or something.:rolling:

10. melrose

melrose New Member

I just don't believe swarm collection is a service to anybody but us as keeps. A landowner looks up in his tree and sees a swarm, it's not bothering him, why should he pay somebody to come collect it. Same as if it were on a house, barn, garage etc.
    I appreciate the call for a chance to play with the bees and relocate them to a new home.
    Maybe if were to run into a situation where expenditures were so extreme, the drive, location of the bees(cut-out), etc I'd consider charging.
    But for now, I'd be happy to drive out 10-20-30 miles to pick up bees. At 4.35Dsl, 21mpg, I'd spend 13.05 for a colony...

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds to me as if both are correct. The farmer may not care if the swarm sits in his tree until it finds a home, but wal-mart may consider it a service for you to remove the swarm from their front door. Those are the two extremes, and swarms will be all in between. That's why I say I normally don't charge for swarms, but I do leave the possibility there, for extreme cases. I would never advertise free.

PS. James, Whadda ya mean by that? Ah didn' know ya was a dang yankee dat couldn't unnerstan English.

12. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Wow this has turned into an interesting post with lots of great information. I understand what you guys are saying. That it is perfectly fine to do swarms for free and most times they are. Just don't advertise it that way incase the need arises to charge for it. I may change my tactics next yr if I have plenty of stock.

Iddee, I'm as country as they come buddy, born and raised in the south. Just given ya a hard time.:grin:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And wadda ya tink I'm doin'??? :thumbsup: :lol:

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

you forgot to add on the sign "will mow grass and weed eat for free while picking up the bees"

:lol::lol:

could not help it!!

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And this is what I like about it here. We can (and sometimes do) see different sides to a debate. When it is kept respectful it is healthy.
    It is perfectly OK to agree to disagree! :wink:

16. oblib

oblib New Member

Thats what makes or breaks a forum for me.

17. melrose

melrose New Member

I see where ya coming from... I'd prob be the first to not screen the call, drive out and think to myself.... I shoulda made a buck off this one.:|

BTW I'm from Chattanooga, not a city boy here either, your "Southern" pokes are funny. I'm up in Northern NY, above Syracuse, met a girl up here, so 14 yrs ago I took it upon myself to strengthen the gene pool in these parts, you know, add a branch to their family tree, not mention good looks. :lol:

18. melrose

melrose New Member

PerryBee, just noticed.... you're in Nova Scotia!!! Got Moose?!?!?

19. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Whats ya got against Yankee's ... lol

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

NO, NO. I ain't takin' that bait......... :razz:

World war 3 ain't got nothin' planned to equal that fight.