Got scamed on a cluster of bees call

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, Jun 26, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Howdy, well in spite of asking all the pertaining questions and getting all the right answers .... After driving about 50 miles, one way, I got to the site in town I was directed to go to. There were about 1en bees on the post. After talking to the neighbors thinking they might have vacated the post site, found out the homeowner had taken down the tree "several weeks to a couple months ago, NOT a couple days ago as the homeowner had claimed. Put a small squirt of Bee Quick on the post and the remaining bees left. I let the guy know I was not happy with his call and description. Guess that comes with the business....but still was not a real happy bee keep driving home. The good points are that all the neighbors were unhappy with him having the tree felled and the bees killed. They all have my information now and said the will look for any other bees that may be around. One lady even walked a couple blocks to check a tree for bees...If the home owner had been as forth right as the neighbors I would not have gotten upset. Oh well live and learn. Thanks for letting me vent a bit. Tom

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'll bet you didn't even ask him to cover your gas expenses. For sure he didn't offer.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would have asked for gas money, not expecting it, but asked anyway.

Yep it comes with the territory, better luck on the next one.

Next time ask them to send you a pic of the bees, might save some driving time and ill temper.

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Nope, I have been going just for the bees so far.....He said the post was covered with bees...the neighbors said it was when the tree was dropped but not since then. I did ask if anyone could go and check if the bees were still there but he said no everyone was at work. Tom

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tom, the good part for you on this, even though it cost you, (i would have been mad as he$$ and asked for a gas donation as well), is that you got your name out there, and and that they will call you in the future. i learned too; to ask questions, get details and descriptions, sometimes repeatedly, and also get a photograph. hope your next call is not so disappointing......:grin:

6. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Anything over 10 miles I'm charging & I think you should too. Your time and gas are not free. Multiplying bee hives is easy, removing them from structures and such is work. There is no such thing as free bees unless they are your bees.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I feel bad for you that you were taken advantage of.

Establish a minimum price over the phone & make certain you mention you will be getting paid for the trip out even if you don't come back with bees, unless you are comfortable continuing to work for free.

You were far too kind on this one friend.

​...JP

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

JP hit it the nail on the head. Beekeepers can still be nice folks without being taken adantage of.

​Riverbee is looking at this experience in the positive way, but a minimum fee should be understood as justified and shouldn't chase away potential customers. After all, you have your expenses and are not out to subsidize those who need your services.

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Many thanks guys....I will be charging a fee once I get another call. Even though I only have one colony this year, I may be able to make a split by next year. Thank You again. Tom

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I use to advertise that if they were anything other than honey bees or had been sprayed it was a $25 trip charge.

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Thanks George, I will be charging $25 from now on, thank you. Tom

11. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I tell people in the phone conversation that I consider the swarm my payment. If it turns out not being a swarm I charge $50 for coming out.

12. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Daniel, out here if you told someone it would be $50 they would more then likely spray them with raid....just saying. Got to know the target audience. Tom