Gotta love it!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

On May 23 when I was going through some of my hives, I found one that was getting a little crowded so rather than risk swarming, I grabbed the queen and made up a decent 5 frame nuc. I transferred that nuc to a 10 frame langstroth on May 31.

I peaked in today and this is what I found on frame # 2. When I found brood on frame #1 I thought Wow, that's nice but to find this on # 2 and #3 surprised me :eek: .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I removed two frames of this brood and dropped into the next single, replaced the frames with empty comb, and added a box with some empty comb, some pollen (a bit moldy) and honey from a dead out.
    Not all the surprises are nasty :mrgreen:

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks like there may be a problem with that queen. Maybe you should send her to me for testing....
    :beg:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think the California guys call that a 'wood to wood' laying pattern???

As an academic exercise you could count the empty cells (don't count those that are being used for pollen storage) then estimate the total number of cells on one side (sq inchs X 25 cells per square inch) and thereby determine the degree to which the sex alleles are misaligning. As a general guide this gives you some idea of how much inbreeding you may be experiencing. You should expect some but too much is a warning.

Extremely nice pattern Perry you can be proud of that one.

5. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

WOW, thats one busy queen!