Gotta stay in shape

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

According to my wife sitting in front of the computer all day is not good for you :) so she brought this home for me the other day:

ratrod.jpg

Pretty cool rat rod bike... flames, black primer, retro handle bars, red rims, and dice on the stems :thumbsup:

She figures if I like it I'll ride it more. I've been out on the bike trails with my son having a blast! Still trying to get used to using a helmet (we never had those when I was growing up). I think I might enjoy this bicycling thing...

Any other bicyclers out there?

2. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I'd love to live somewhere where riding was safe, but if I tried it here, the bike and I would both end up flat. :(

Have fun and be careful.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice bike.
    Is that a torino behind it? :cool:

4. Charles

Charles New Member

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh man, you lucky guy, with a wife like that. :D

Yes I am a very avid bicyclist, and my husband too!
    When i don't do 3 or 4 hours of mild exercise per week, I begin to feel really tired and achey and ....old. I do 3 different things to keep from becoming frozen into position: brisk walking, bicycling, and contra dancing. I just do them in no particular order.

This morning, I took an hour to bike down the hill to town, have a coffee, then walked a brisk 2 miles looping around village streets on the sidewalks and back to my bike (which I locked up real well in front of the coffee place) and then got on the bike and rode a couple miles to the next town over and back home. So in an hour I took a 2 mile walk and a 6 mile bike ride- that's a real short ride but when combined with the walk it's a decent little workout. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo from a few weeks ago of my husband's and my bikes in front of the cafe where we have breakfast on the weekends....before our ride....his is the green bike, mine is the cream one...
    Photo-0004.jpg

We love love love our bikes! :grin:

p.s. hey you guys- quit talking about the car!!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm already in shape.

ROUND is a shape. :thumbsup:

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha, Iddee! Nice bike and good for your wife to care about ya. Looks like a nice cushy seat too. Tose skinny seats are hard on the ole bubanski!

8. pturley

pturley New Member

My oldest (14yo) and I hit the trails once in a while (not nearly enough though!!!). There is a state park just south of us (Findley) that we need to visit more often. They have a really cool little set of fairly technical trails that snake through the woods around the park.

Aidan rides a Schwinn S-10, same vintage as he is that I picked up used last year. He wanted a killer bike for Christmas... ...this thing is a killer bike that has stood the test of time. The S-10 is often labeled as one of the best full suspension designs ever.

I have an '05 Gary Fischer Tassajara (great bike for the money!).

9. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks guy's :)

Wow Omie that is quite a workout :) I got tired just reading it. Hmmm maybe that's why i needed the bike!

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i bike charles, and enjoy it, i own a mountain bike and i either bike or walk 3-5 miles a day.....but i don't wear a helmet.....walking or biking :lol:

11. Marbees

Marbees Member

My wife bikes to work, and enjoys it. I feel much better since she started it.:lol:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Omie said: "I do 3 different things to keep from becoming frozen into position".

My wife works from home on the computer and she has just been diagnosed with "frozen shoulder". It has been bothering her for months and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of relief for her. She has been going to an Osteopath and it helps but she has been told it will be a long and slow process. :sad:

13. Omie

Omie New Member

Perry- I really recommend that your wife start doing some short but brisk fitness walks. There is NO exercise that benefits the entire body more than brisk walking! Good for the heart, all joints, muscle tone, circulation, lose fat, bone density...even elevates your mood!

My shoulders used to really hurt and ache when lying on my side to sleep....but when I do my 1 or 2 little fitness walks per week, that pain fades away completely. I had the same thing with my hip joints. I now know from repeated experience that if i don't do my walking, within a month my shoulders and hip joints will start feeling achy and painful again. Basically it boils down to- if we don't move it, we lose it.

She can start with just a .5 mile walk...take longish steps and be sure to move the arms as you walk. I swing my arms but not 'too' much, and I also do some gentle side arm arcs regularly while on the walk. This all increases your range of motion for the shoulder joints!
    If she can build up to one or two miles and do it 2 or 3 times a week, her shoulders will definitely improve...and no drugs or doctors or operations!