Grafting tools

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Daniel Y, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

This next year I want to start grafting. the year will be focused on learning and developing my success rate as well as using as many different tools systems and overall methods as possible. In doing that I will need to obtain as wide a variety of grafting tools as I can. This most obviously means purchasing as many of them as I can locate. In addition I will most likely be teaching as many as 4 other individuals how to graft and woudl want them also be ale to select the tool that suits them.

I decided that before I go lookign to buy them I would see if any other beekeepers have had this same idea in the past and still have there selection of tools even though they have long ago picked the one of there choice.

I have come up with a list of tools I would like to find, but I don to consider it complete and tools are not limited to what is on the list. if you have something that is not on it I am interested in that also.

My list includes just about anything on David Cushmans web page on grafting tools. here.
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/graftingtools.html

mainly the blackthorn, Plastic, Swiss and Chinese styles. Many of the others I can make myself.

2. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Start with the Chinese bamboo tongue tools. They are cheap and work well. You will have to bend and replace tounges etc. Then go to whatever suits you! Stainless now here.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Started off with the SS Swiss type, picked up one with a sliding tong and used it for a while then switched to the 00 paint brush when I was told it was an easier way of grafting. Once you get the knack, it's quick, easy, and lifts and sets the larva down with very little damage to the larva.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Take a look at this guys stuff. I visited with him and he gave me a demonstration of how he raises queens. His method is the same a grafting but he never touches the larva. Very slick.

He sells a book the is very detailed, pictures, diagrams etc. The cell punch tool and a queen rearing frame.

With his method you use the cell punch tool and punch out a single cell with the larva in it. Then you mount this cell to the queen rearing frame. You do this for as many queens as you want. The cell punch tool doesn't destroy a lot of comb. Just a small hole.

I bought a kit and have the book if you have any questions.

He has a very high success rate with this method. The larva stays in its natural wax cell and is not removed from the royal jelly.

http://freemanbeetletrap.com/queen_rearing

5. larry tate

larry tate New Member

On the 00 brush do you wet it? Sounds like a good method?

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To start with dip it in a cell with older larva with more royal jelly in it to moisten the brush.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there seems to be no mention of 'automatic' grafting tool or a toothpick?

8. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Congrats to Daniel Y for wanting to raise queens. You will never learn more about your bees than when trying to raise queens. I personally use the chinese grafting tool. As stated, they are cheap ($1 from Dadant I think) and easy to adjust. Just keep them moist (I use one and keep the tip of one in my mouth). Tec, never tried a toothpick....you "cup" one end right?