Grafting

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rast, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

For those of you on here that graft larva to raise queens, do you dry graft or prime the cell first? If you prime, as I was taught to do, what do you use?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you are just learning to graft priming (for me this means royal jelly) is a good thing that give you a slight edge (higher potential of success). after a while a dry graft becomes quicker and easier. I think dry grafting success is as much about practice and confidence (built from practice) as anything else.

it seems to me priming with royal jelly also gives you a slight larger and prettier cell. I cannot tell that the queen that develops is any better than one from a dry graft.

3. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We dry graft. I think making sure the bees are right for feeding the cells is most important. Well fed older nurse bees with lots of milk that have been feeding larva seem to be best. When we primed and used very young nurse bees I think the bees actually fed on the priming. Also the frame you are grafting from should have larva floating in milk. Just my 2 cents. Still learning and trying to remember!

4. rast

rast New Member

Thanks for the answers. This was my first try at "dry" grafting and the take was pretty poor, 20%. I had trouble getting them off the tool without rolling them. Go's along with my honey production this year.
    Oh well, like a doctor. Back to practicing.