grease monkey time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G3farms, Dec 8, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Been playing grease monkey to night on our old 99 fodr windstar. There is a factory defect in the rubber washers, rubber gaskets and two of the vacuum hoses, seems if they get oil on them they will deteriorate, and the valve cover is made wrong and cause all kinds of rough running. Well finally found a forum that showed just what to replace and then found advanced auto even sold a whole kit. Took about two hours to replace all of the parts and she is up and running like a top :yahoo: :yahoo: .

Now to replace two sway bar links and a cv joint boot this weekend.

I don't mind working on cars if you know just what to replace and with all of the electronic bull any more it is hard to tell.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

detroit took the fun out of working on cars when they married them to electronics and computers. Then add the EPA mandates and it make its miserable

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You ain't just kidding. I like my old '67 Ford F100, three wires on the motor (heat sender, oil sender and hot wire to distributor) and one vacuum hose (vacuum advance on the distributor). Heck anybody can work on that ol' truck. Not too hard to chase down fuel or fire problems.

Took me 30 minutes just to locate the battery, HA have to jack the car up and take it out from the bottom. Located in front fender well.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

you sure can say that 3 times and mean it!! I miss the old, very straight forward, no surprises and no tech junk engines too..... not that I do anything with them anymore (now that I'm old and married and trying to stay outta trouble ;) ) Whether you fix the problems yourself or pay someone else to do it all the new computerized, electronic, latest greatest newest stuff makes it worse!

@G3, that is a great site! Wish I had known about it last summer when me and the kids were stuck in Missouri with truck that kept on cropping up with new and not so easy to figure out troubles. Glad you are able to get that windstar running right again.

autozone has (or at least used to) a pretty decent troubleshooter in their website. We've used it several times for step by step help and diagrams for various things.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

advanced auto is close to me and now I have found that you can order parts on line, and there are several promo codes to save up to 35% on them with free shipping and/or pick up at you local store. The promo codes can be found online.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I still have my first bought new 1979 3/4 ton Chev. 4x4 with a 350 eng. I dropped insur. and lic. on it 6 yrs ago and just use it on the farm.It has alot of rust on it but goes when i need it,when something goes wrong with it, i can usually find the trouble and fix it. If you try that on these new trucks (i just bought a 2010 4x4 1/2 Chev. truck) and mess up the computer you better have deep pockets. Wish i had my 1950 black Ford sedan back (flathead 8 cycl.,lowered in the back with skirts and white wall tires) I could fill the tank for $2.00 and drive it all week to work and hunt and fish on weekends. There was nothing i couldn't fix on it.Mama Beek,i take my hat off to you,there's not many women who will be a grease monkey these days :hi: . Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have notice that on a lot of newer model cars the auto engineers (or perhaps the lack thereof) seem to not want folks to work on their own vehicles. Now is seems that some of the most frequently changed pars (like water pumps for example) are extremely difficult to get at...

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

a friend was telling me last week you cant get a new car out of detroit with standard transmission anymore not even special order not sure if its true or not but doesnt sound suprising. Them ole standards was easy to work on not much to go wrong

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hmmm, I think that a lot of women would like to know more than they do about such things but have not been exposed to the right teacher. In other words, we want to learn but can't stand to be talked down to, or tested and then treated like a fool for not already knowing the answer. :D

In my case it was required by my Daddy before I was allowed to drive that I be able to properly maintain my own car and make at least an effort to do some of my own repair work. I ended up enjoying the quiet time under a hood or under a car a little more than what Daddy had intended.... at least until I had children and they took up so much of my time and energy that I didn't really have any left for a hot engine.

Nowadays I enjoy being able to stay in the house and cook up something sweet for my fella while he works on the cars for me ;)

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Mama Beek, we could be sisters! My Dad didn't let any of his girls go out on their own without knowing how to change oil and a tire, at a minimum! Sometimes I have work done (like in winter, since I have no garage) and I have learned that, no matter what you pay someone else to do the work, they will screw it up or do a half-baked job that I probably could have done better. (Although it may take me 3 days...)

I was car shopping several years ago, and asked the salesman where the oil filter was in a particular model. It was accessed from underneath, and (he added) ".. but YOU won't be changing your oil." I stared at him, said, "No, not in this car, I won't." and walked out.

I do miss my old 1972 Volvo, where, if you dropped the wrench while working, it fell out the bottom of the car. Too much crap under the hood now..

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Oh Hobie, we sure could be kin! I can't stand for men talking down to me like that either no matter what they are selling.... and don't get me started on the ones that call me honey, sugar, darling, or (uggg) sweet thing :twisted:

The engine compartments are way too crowded nowadays, but the thing that really got me all steamed up and stomping mad last summer was all the PLASTIC parts. As if it isn't bad enough that parts are plastic and break fairly easily, NO ONE carries them and even the dealer couldn't get one to me in less than 5 days! :roll:

I get some grief sometimes because I work on cars "like a girl". We had to change a power steering pump one time and I didn't want the fluid to spill out and be wasted on the driveway so I ran in and grabbed an old turkey baster to take it out with and save it :lol: But the job got done, I guess that's what matters. ;)

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Now you're talking like a yankee!

I can always hear when something changes in the car and some part is starting to go. I just can't figure out what it is! And I can't make sound effects, so it is hard to describe. In all my days, I've only met one mechanic who drove with me and listened, and didn't treat me like I was nuts. I've moved since, and I miss him.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, a man who listens :confused: You should have married him. :mrgreen: Jack

15. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I think his wife would have taken issue with that...!

But, now that you mention it, you have a fine point. Instead I ended up with a man who is hard of hearing (he claims), but other than that, he's pretty nice.

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hard of hearing, i never thought of that?? My wife is always saying don't you remember,i told you that yesterday :confused: I feel better now, i thought i was getting the big Al syndrome. Jack

17. Omie

Omie New Member

I do the tire changing, tinkering, and fixing on my bicycles and my banjos....does that count?

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Nah, Omie, that's what we call just Fiddling around down here in SW Mo. :mrgreen: Jack