1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do u add it!
where do u add it?
how many per hive?, per brood box?
do u add them for just ipm or to increase your drown population for mating?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bought 60 the first year and installed two in each of my three hives. I placed them in frame space #1 and 10, it them forever to start to use them very much. I still have 54 in storeage/never used.
I find I have better results in mite control by removing the queen and three or four frames from the built up hive and making a nuc, this break in brood cycle puts a pretty good dent in the mite population, plus it tends to help control alot of swarming.
Have thought about taking the new ones I have and putting them in a deep and try it as a honey super,with the larger drone cell dimples formed in the plastic foundation if it works and they draw the larger cells for honey it might be kinda fun. Jim

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My two cents- I'd put one drone frame per 10-frame brood box. Late Spring (swarm season) is the big drone-producing time. By late summer bees make much fewer drones.
I use them only for drone culling to help cut down on mites. Your queens don't mate with their own hive's drones. I've been taught that the virgin queen takes a mating flight to a drone concentration area and usually mate with a dozen or more drones from various other nearby areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts