Green Tomato Honey Ginger Jam

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by heinleinfan, Oct 8, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Well, an unexpectedly early 3-night freeze meant that all the tomatoes in the garden had to be picked.
    I found a couple different tomato jam recipes and took bits from each (researching acidity, etc. along the way) and came up with this recipe. It's sweet with a little spice kick from the ginger, undertones of honey and the slightly tart green tomato chunks tie together all the flavors perfectly.

I have to half my canning recipes, because my stove is so small I can't use a full size canning pot, so I can only do small batches at a time. So this recipe *can* be exactly doubled, which you normally shouldn't do with canning recipes.

Green Tomato Honey Ginger Jam
    Makes 4 half pint jars.

3-4 pounds green tomatoes (about, more on how much in the recipe)
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    7/8 c honey
    1 1/4 c sugar
    4 tbls pectin
    2 tsp ground ginger

Core the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and cut out the hard white centers. That part is bitter. You do not have to skin them. Dice them into 1/2 inch or smaller bits, to your preference.
    Add 5 cups diced green tomatoes, packed tightly, to a large pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Add in the lemon juice, ginger and pectin and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Continue boiling and stirring (it should be very thick, not very syrupy) and check for jelling by scooping a small spoonful and letting it cool. If you like a harder set, add another tablespoon of pectin and boil for another minute.

Ladle into prepped canning jars (sanitized and all that jazz) leaving 1/4 inch headspace and removing bubbles, etc. Add lids and rings and cook in a hot water bath canner with at least 2 inches of water over the jars based on altitude; 5 minutes under 1,000 feet, 10 for 1,000 to 6,000 and 15 minutes for 6,000 feet and higher.

Let jars cool and seal for at least 24 hours. Any jars that do not seal will need to be refrigerated and used up within 3 weeks.