Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings and a very happy and prosperous New Year to all.

May the flow be strong and the kisses minimal.

I hope it’s fine for me to be here. It seems you guys are just about all in the USA and enduring your winter months.

Anyway, I am very new to this caper of looking after Mother Natures pollinators. I have a Flow Hive and most likely be getting another over our winter to ready it for a split in our spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome aboard. Happy New Year.

Reactions: 36thVM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greetings and a very happy and prosperous New Year to all.

May the flow be strong and the kisses minimal.

I hope it’s fine for me to be here. It seems you guys are just about all in the USA and enduring your winter months.

Anyway, I am very new to this caper of looking after Mother Natures pollinators. I have a Flow Hive and most likely be getting another over our winter to ready it for a split in our spring.
Welcome 36Th VM. Happy All. I'm Australian too. Where are you from? I'm sub alpine victoria. 3 hives, lang, long and custom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome 36Th VM. Happy All. I'm Australian too. Where are you from? I'm sub alpine victoria. 3 hives, lang, long and custom
Hi Mate, Victoria as well, just to the north of Melbourne. In Mitchell Shire. Has been a shocking start to the season for a lot of the local beekeepers that are more rural than myself. I’m in the township and lucky to have seen a lot of pollen coming in as well as probably just enough nectar to keep the colony going along and growing in size slowly.
Put the NUC into their hive on Cup Day and have just put the second brood box on New Years Day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"36thVM" sounds like a military designation. I am not Australian but I have run all through the jungles of Vietnam with you guys when I was pulling a tour with the 173 rd Airborne Brigade back in 1966-67. We had Australian soldiers also using our base camp at Bein Hoa, Vietnam. I made some good friends with some and one even taught me how to throw a boomerang. Boy was that a fun day and we forgot all about chasing the enemy around in the jungles. I wish now, that I had chosen Australia for R&R instead of Bangkok, Thailand. Still kicking myself for that one.
Anyhow,I am now a very new beekeeper and learning the ways of the bees and trying to keep them. Hoping to be a bee keeper and not a bee tender. Looking forward to you Mates, sharing your experiences. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"36thVM" sounds like a military designation. I am not Australian but I have run all through the jungles of Vietnam with you guys when I was pulling a tour with the 173 rd Airborne Brigade back in 1966-67. We had Australian soldiers also using our base camp at Bein Hoa, Vietnam. I made some good friends with some and one even taught me how to throw a boomerang. Boy was that a fun day and we forgot all about chasing the enemy around in the jungles. I wish now, that I had chosen Australia for R&R instead of Bangkok, Thailand. Still kicking myself for that one.
Anyhow,I am now a very new beekeeper and learning the ways of the bees and trying to keep them. Hoping to be a bee keeper and not a bee tender. Looking forward to you Mates, sharing your experiences. Happy New Year.
Hi Wil,
Thank you for your Service.
Yes it is a military designation of sorts. I was just knee high to a hubcap when you were in the jungles of Vietnam.
I am an Army Apprentice and I joined the ADF in 1981 as a 16 year old. I was trained as a Vehicle Mechanic. I am a member of the 36th intake hence the handle I use. I am no longer in uniform although I do contract back into the Department.
Cheers
Dean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Mate, Victoria as well, just to the north of Melbourne. In Mitchell Shire. Has been a shocking start to the season for a lot of the local beekeepers that are more rural than myself. I’m in the township and lucky to have seen a lot of pollen coming in as well as probably just enough nectar to keep the colony going along and growing in size slowly.
Put the NUC into their hive on Cup Day and have just put the second brood box on New Years Day.
Yeah sprummers been a shocker hasn't it. shitty years to start or split, nature will find a way. I'm in Murrundindi.November was sprummer* dearth for nectar and pollen. I'm only on 5000m but have planted up about 20 bee trees, and whilst they are growing, I have planted some gardens heavy in sprummer flowerers- local eucs don't flower till Jan- March. I like the Centaurea plants for good sprummer nectar and pollen, also Alliums, Ceonothus, Hawthorn and *****- all quite popular with bees.lavendar just goes and goes. Doens't provide enough for even one colony but diversity counts for a lot. Generally we get pretty high rainfall here but nothing for the last 2 months. :oops: Feel very sorry for the very rural- farmers, beekeepers and all. Oh well thats Oz. We're on tank too but have good storage. If you do get a honey harvest this year I would suggest leaving them not only enough for winter, but also a couple of frames to spare. This season i was glad I had 4 frames saved, early spring was okay, but I supplemented with honey frame in November ( i split and let bees raise a queen and was crap time but I wanted another hive). I vacuum seal mine, if not get an insect proof box. I also bought irradiated Wa pollen, bees would not take dry, but put into an empty frame, sprayed half with water to hydrate, and the other half with water and Bacillus subtilis (very common bacterial species- soil, human gut, bee microbiome, I just happen to have in my horticultural fridge) and they ate both. So not as good as nature but the honey and pollen between them saw my new Nuc alright. May the summer florals be with you.

(* Sprummer- Aboriginals, Tim Witwistle ( Director Melb botanic gardens) myself and other think the 4 season model inherited form another country on other side of globe bears little reference to us. Hence Sprinter Aug- Sept (sprinting like spring, freezing like winter), Oct- Dec Sprummer (warmer days but still quite cold) Summer, Autumn Winter. Might be different for places with warmer summers but suspect locally determined)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts