Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not beekeeping yet, but thought I'd lurk around to listen in on discussions and learn more about the topic.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Not beekeeping yet, but thought I'd lurk around to listen in on discussions and learn more about the topic.
Welcome Dave. Greetings from Texas. This forum doesn't have a lot of current population, but the pasted posts, and the historical message base will give you plenty to read to get a good foundation in beekeeping

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone out there work with horizontal hives ? I just built 2 of them a few months ago and installed a nuc in each one. I love it after years of back breaking (lifting full honey supers) and total disruption of the hives, the horizontal hives have a great number of benefits especially if you are a backyard beekeeper.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
it is something I might consider in a couple of years. Before I replace any of my current woodware

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone out there work with horizontal hives ? ........
I am using a horizontal lang. Only into my 2nd year. I did not start vertically as I knew that my back would not take the abuse. Even now, I can only get thru 1/2 - 2/3 of the hive on each inspection, but then I do dawdle a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
well I'm still a vertical lang, but when I unload honey, I pull 5 frames and set them in a nuc, put a lid on it and pull 5 more into a second nuc

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am using a horizontal lang. Only into my 2nd year. I did not start vertically as I knew that my back would not take the abuse. Even now, I can only get thru 1/2 - 2/3 of the hive on each inspection, but then I do dawdle a bit :)
Have you had good results in the winter with the horizontal hives? That is primarily why I built the horizontal hives because we have very cold winters in Michigan and I'v lost 3 or 4 vertical hives to the winter kill. How do you winterize them and what do you use as a quilt to absorb the moisture. Even though the hives are made out of 2X12 material I plant to put 2" insulation foam boards around the hive and strap it on. I've already incorporated 1" into the peaked roof which should serve to keep heat out in the summer and insulate in the winter. My plan for the quilt is to use burlap bags and fill with wood shavings and lay on top of the cover boards under the roof system. My biggest concern is making sure they get enough ventilation. If you have any ideas to share I would appreciate it Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Sounds like a good plan Larry, but I live in Texas so my opinion isn't worth too much. Hoping others will reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone out there work with horizontal hives ? I just built 2 of them a few months ago and installed a nuc in each one. I love it after years of back breaking (lifting full honey supers) and total disruption of the hives, the horizontal hives have a great number of benefits especially if you are a backyard beekeeper.
Larry, As an aging beekeeper, I am interested in the horizontal hives, especially the long lang.. So just a couple of questions. How have they done for you and where did you get the plans to build them if you did them yourself or did you just buy a complete setup? Thanks for your info. Have a Happy Bee Day

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Welcome BeeIndiana Hopefully @Larry Redhage will check in. I haven't tried the horizontal hives myself but they are gaining interest here in Texas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome BeeIndiana Hopefully @Larry Redhage will check in. I haven't tried the horizontal hives myself but they are gaining interest here in Texas
I'm still hoping and praying they come through their first Michigan winter (which hasn't been really bad so far) I checked on them about 2 weeks ago when the weather warmed up to about 40 degrees and they were all snuggled in so I didn't disturb them too much just looked to see they still had plenty of sugar cakes. Because I didn't get them until mid June, they took off really well but I left them all the honey they gathered then added some sugar cakes as well. I made 2 horizontal hives last winter and after reading more up on it I am getting ready to build a Layen's long hive which is like the Langstroth horizontal hive but deeper (like 2 deep frames together) which I am going to use by cutting the ears off some of the deep frames and zip tie them together since i have a Langstroth motorized extractor so I will just cut the frames apart and extract them in the normal way. Purpose of the deeper frames is the queen lays in a concentric circle and the bees can store more honey close to the brood. I'll be reporting more when spring comes and I can let everyone know how the horizontal hives worked out. So far I think they are great, so much easier to work in because there is no pulling boxes apart to check on the hive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds great. Does this help you @BeeIndiana
If you mean help me like make it easier, yes, I'm 73 years old and its much easier to maintain the long horizontal hives than the vertical hives. Also my horizontal hives are made out of 2" thick versus the common vertical hives are 1" thick material. Like I said I'll have to wait till spring to see how they did over the winter.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
We had someone else wanting information on horizontal hives, so hopefully it will help him too. I'm not ready to switch, by the time I am ready I may give up beekeeping instead. Will see..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Larry, As an aging beekeeper, I am interested in the horizontal hives, especially the long lang.. So just a couple of questions. How have they done for you and where did you get the plans to build them if you did them yourself or did you just buy a complete setup? Thanks for your info. Have a Happy Bee Day
Yes I built everything myself, plans are free on horizontalhives.com. Won't know how they have done till spring but i suspect they will be just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts