Greetings from Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DaveMcKnight, Jun 24, 2020.

1. DaveMcKnight

DaveMcKnight New Member

Not beekeeping yet, but thought I'd lurk around to listen in on discussions and learn more about the topic.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Dave. Greetings from Texas. This forum doesn't have a lot of current population, but the pasted posts, and the historical message base will give you plenty to read to get a good foundation in beekeeping

3. Larry Redhage

Larry Redhage New Member

Does anyone out there work with horizontal hives ? I just built 2 of them a few months ago and installed a nuc in each one. I love it after years of back breaking (lifting full honey supers) and total disruption of the hives, the horizontal hives have a great number of benefits especially if you are a backyard beekeeper.

Gypsi likes this.
  4. Gypsi

it is something I might consider in a couple of years. Before I replace any of my current woodware

5. maddog7

maddog7 New Member

I am using a horizontal lang. Only into my 2nd year. I did not start vertically as I knew that my back would not take the abuse. Even now, I can only get thru 1/2 - 2/3 of the hive on each inspection, but then I do dawdle a bit :)

Gypsi likes this.
  6. Gypsi

well I'm still a vertical lang, but when I unload honey, I pull 5 frames and set them in a nuc, put a lid on it and pull 5 more into a second nuc

7. Larry Redhage

Larry Redhage New Member

Have you had good results in the winter with the horizontal hives? That is primarily why I built the horizontal hives because we have very cold winters in Michigan and I'v lost 3 or 4 vertical hives to the winter kill. How do you winterize them and what do you use as a quilt to absorb the moisture. Even though the hives are made out of 2X12 material I plant to put 2" insulation foam boards around the hive and strap it on. I've already incorporated 1" into the peaked roof which should serve to keep heat out in the summer and insulate in the winter. My plan for the quilt is to use burlap bags and fill with wood shavings and lay on top of the cover boards under the roof system. My biggest concern is making sure they get enough ventilation. If you have any ideas to share I would appreciate it Thanks

8. Gypsi

Sounds like a good plan Larry, but I live in Texas so my opinion isn't worth too much. Hoping others will reply