Greetings from Philippines

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Apo Mariano, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Hi to all! I'm a 29 year old newbie beekeeper from the Philippines. I recently quit my engineering job and went back to the mountains to farm and become a beekeeper. I felt I was more of a farmer than an engineer.:smile: Anyway, my initial plan was to buy European honey bees but had some trouble finding local suppliers. When my father heard about my plans, he told me about a certain native bee that was living in our backyard for more than 3 years. I did my research and found out it was the same stingless bee family that is popular in Australia. I became excited and did further research about this tiny bees that are great pollinators. I don't want to destroy the hive so I began looking for a local supplier. Lucky enough I was able to find one and bought two hives. I'll be doing a "soft-split" soon on the hive in our backyard. This is the term by the Australian beekeepers of doing a split without harming the original hive. I fell in love with these native bees and made a promise to help them as long as I can!:thumbsup:

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Apo, Good for you, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Walt

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Apo, glad you found us here on the forum, will be interest to find out about your bees.

Ken

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the international forum Apo. :hi:Thanks for making it more internationaal.
    I haven't read yet of anyone here handing the stingless variety of bees, but I remember reading somewhere that they have a great tendency to swarm frequently. This seems to be their instinctive way of keeping clean of varroa. I may be mis-remembering but would suggest that you do as much research as you can about them. Give a Google search "Stingless bee"---you should find a lot of interesting information. Apparently there are stingless honey bees in more than one country.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Apo. :hi:

Stingless bees? :shock: What have I been missing? :lol:
    Do these gather a honey crop?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Their bites :doh:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :D

9. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

Thanks all for the warm welcome!:smile: Actually, they have stings but are too small and soft to actually hurt. So, what they do instead is bite or annoy intruders by getting into their nose, ears, and other holes in the body.

I'll post pictures of my hive soon.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome Apo
    A good friend of mine spent some time in the fall of last year doing extention work with an university (I don't think it was in the Philippines but some other place that has the stingless bees) on queen rearing and he was saying that he felt that the stingless bee because they are adaped to the climate the preditors and I beleave that the varoa come to the europien bees from that bee. Although they do not produce the aboundence of honey as the european bees do they are more suited to the climat and conditions. I Videod his short presintation, I will have to dig it up do some editing and post it.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

a hearty welcome to the forum apo.....
    [​IMG].....!!!!
    would enjoy hearing more about your stingless bees, thank you!

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

13. Apo Mariano

Apo Mariano New Member

@ApisBees
    Interesting! Please do share the video if you find it.

@Barbarian & riverbee
    Thanks! I've already posted at the alternative pollinator category.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Welcome aboard apo. My son is currently in the phillipines training with his marine unit flying the v22 osprey. I look forward to you being a part of the forum. Its a beautiful country you are in.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and a large HOWDY from central Texas and I look forward to your comments in regards to the native bee you have discovered. at least here amongst the entomology crown there is some interest even her in the native pollinator.

17. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Welcome. Lots of good advice and people here.