Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have always been intrigued by beekeeping. Have been a regular honey customer when I lived in rural areas and noticed hive boxes appearing in the corners of fields from time to time and then be gone again. So at 53 I figure I'll at least at this point learn all I can and begin to gear up for it. For now that will have to suffice. I am now two years in with my recovery from being hit as a pedestrian by a very drunk driver. Night of Valentine's Day 2019 I was walking alongside the road that my street connects to. I awoke from a coma a month later in a hospital trauma center. Usually when that sort of thing happens, car/pedestrian accident and the driver flees that's it, end of story because they are never caught. Our hero was caught. He went to prison. I went into the hospital for five months. Skull fracture, cheekbone flattened, nose broken and multiple other serious injuries. After that over a year of cognizance and physical therapy and I am still on the mend. Auditory nerve damage from the skull fracture has left me with likely permanent tinnitus, a roaring noise in my head which is near constant. Anyway, I will cope. I am having to reinvent myself, get used to this unplanned early retirement, etc. I will take right to it and swim in it like a duck. This old Marine is made of tougher stuff. Woulda flat out killed a lesser man, I'm tellin' ya! Ha! The hearing impairment has taken 40+ years of guitar playing away from me but I've got 20 years of blacksmithing under my belt which is my other love and part of my motivation to explore beekeeping. Beeswax figures prominently in forging as a "blacksmith's finish", beeswax, boiled linseed oil and a little Japan drier mixed as a paste wax and applied with a rag at a black heat, about 800°F gives excellent results in sealing the iron from air and imparts a nice luster. So this whole bee thing is looking pretty good to me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Welcome Jack! Those drunk drivers - one took my granddaughter a couple of years ago, he got 28 years in prison, 14 for each girl he killed. Good to reinvent yourself, I'm continually doing that too. There's a lot of good reading on here, and I pop on every couple of weeks I'm afraid - I run a pond service and don't have a lot of time in spring. See if you can find a local group to join, they'll know where to get the best bees and equipment.

Hello. I have always been intrigued by beekeeping. Have been a regular honey customer when I lived in rural areas and noticed hive boxes appearing in the corners of fields from time to time and then be gone again. So at 53 I figure I'll at least at this point learn all I can and begin to gear up for it. For now that will have to suffice. I am now two years in with my recovery from being hit as a pedestrian by a very drunk driver. Night of Valentine's Day 2019 I was walking alongside the road that my street connects to. I awoke from a coma a month later in a hospital trauma center. Usually when that sort of thing happens, car/pedestrian accident and the driver flees that's it, end of story because they are never caught. Our hero was caught. He went to prison. I went into the hospital for five months. Skull fracture, cheekbone flattened, nose broken and multiple other serious injuries. After that over a year of cognizance and physical therapy and I am still on the mend. Auditory nerve damage from the skull fracture has left me with likely permanent tinnitus, a roaring noise in my head which is near constant. Anyway, I will cope. I am having to reinvent myself, get used to this unplanned early retirement, etc. I will take right to it and swim in it like a duck. This old Marine is made of tougher stuff. Woulda flat out killed a lesser man, I'm tellin' ya! Ha! The hearing impairment has taken 40+ years of guitar playing away from me but I've got 20 years of blacksmithing under my belt which is my other love and part of my motivation to explore beekeeping. Beeswax figures prominently in forging as a "blacksmith's finish", beeswax, boiled linseed oil and a little Japan drier mixed as a paste wax and applied with a rag at a black heat, about 800°F gives excellent results in sealing the iron from air and imparts a nice luster. So this whole bee thing is looking pretty good to me. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Gypsi. I am sorry for your loss. DFW, huh? I have a buddy there, he flies for AA. His dad was a pilot for American too. When they moved their hub from Buffalo to DFW in the late '70s he went to Texas. Before American his Dad flew F-86 Saber jets for the RCAF. All I can do for now is read up on bees and learn what I can. Doctors won't let me drive yet. Soon enough. Jack :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Jack and welcome. I’m from western Catskills. Beekeeping is a healer, I also started as a result of medical stuff a brain AVM and brain surgery. Enjoy it, I think you will love it. I started at 56 and am still going with it. Read all you can, and sign up for some Zoom meetings that are available now. If you are on Facebook join New York State Beekeepers. And check out New York Bee Wellness.org, Pat Bono has wonderful videos etc. from all sorts of learned people. Deb

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cats! I will certainly follow up on those leads. For now I am still stuck in the burbs staying with family as I continue to heal. I was pretty well busted up. Just past two years now and the Docs still won't let me drive. To me the suburbs are "the city" so I am itching to get back out into the hills of the southern tier where I belong. Much to learn yet that is for sure. BTW~ I see you are in the Catskills so happy opening day of trout season if you are so inclined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts