Gritty honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Sherwood, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Sherwood

Sherwood New Member

The extracted honey from one of my hives seems to be slightly "gritty" and takes forever to be strained. What would cause this?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like it is turning to sugar.

Put some in a clear jar and hold up to the light, does it look a little cloudy? that would be the sugar crystals forming.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Afterward, sit it in a pan of very hot water for ah hour or two. If it is smooth, with all the grit gone, you will know it was crystals.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

This time of year, in this part of the country, the honey does tend to crystallize. Especially the fall goldenrod and aster honeys. Yep, I've been there, with the honey sitting in the strainer bag and dripping through at a pace slower than you ever thought possible.

( I remember my first year, I saw all these odd white globs in the cells and I thought the honey had spoiled or the hive had some terrible disease!)

As mentioned above, warming the honey in hot (not boiling) water is the best way. If you can, warm up your straining area, too. Last time I did this I had only a small amount, so I set it on top of the radiator.