grow and grow

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

a friend of the person that owns the organic nursery that I have 1 of my yards at just tried some of my honey and says its the best she ever had and now has offered up a large property with orchards and such on it as another apiary for my wife and I, so over the next 2 weeks Ill be moving 10 hives out of my back yard on over to start with, atleast now I have a place to put all these removal calls Im getting now.

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's cool :thumbsup:

3. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I think once people have the real stuff and taste the difference between it and store bought so called "honey", they are truly amazed. That is so wonderful to have the extra space, especially in an orchard!!:drinks:

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm leery about keeping bees right on an orchard simply due to the amount of -icides they use to get blemish free fruit.

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Since they have an "organic" nursery, maybe the orchard is organic also. Maybe there aren't any -icides. :eek:
    Worth asking the question, though.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

here is a pic of the new location Im putting 10 hives, wifes happy, she gets most of the back yard back (until I bring more removals home):lol:

Attached Files:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice and sheltered from winds, water nearby, looks like a nice site to me! :thumbsup:

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looks like a great spot to me too !

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow, that is way cool, and a bees dream yard!

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Where the health of the bees are at stake, it is always wise to ask how and what kind of practise they use. One unknowing innocent mistake can put you out of the bee buisness. Otherwise it looks like a great place for a bee yard. Good luck , and i hope all goes well. Jack

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

One of the worst products for bees I have seen is the organic treatment that they use for cherry fruit flies. It is easy to protect hives from regular pesticides with a little cooperation from the farmer.

12. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I second the comment above. Even if they run an organic orchard, there are many, many -icides they might be spraying there, and maybe even more often than the chemical stuff. Make sure you ask them to notify you when they'll be spraying anything.

-Dan

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the worst thing they use is soapy water and they even have a no fly zone for the mosquito planes for all of there land