Had a busy weekend

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Zulu, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

So with all the cold rain I decided I would mess in the workshop, I nailed up 10 frames for the Boy Scout Project (helping them a bit) and I made up 4x med supers for my hives.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also decided that I might as well make a handle jig, I knew what I wanted after lots of previous searching.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice job Zulu: :thumbsup:

Interesting piece of equipment (orange part) to hold your wood close to the fence, I've not seen it before.
    Do you make all your rabbet cuts this way? Have you found it to be easier/cleaner than using dado blades?

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

When the shop is correctly setup I do rabbets on the radial arm saw, but this is an easy way to get them accurate without having to change blades to a dado blade.

I tried cutting the handles with a std blade , but had to change to the dado.

As for the feather board, very nice tool to keep boards against the fence, you can make them from hard wood too, I got this one on a sale and use it all the time. I like my fingers.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

nice job on the handle jig, did you find it hard to push the board sideways into the the blade?
    Did it bind up or try to burn?

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

on the std blade it bound a bunch, but using a dado blade it worked fine, just a tiny burn if too aggressive on final push
    Best is that my hands are far away from the dado blade which I am very careful about.

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

What kind of rise over run did you use on your handle jig ?And would you go more or less or just rite?

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

15 deg on the slide and the blade is at 19 deg tilt, allowing for a little undercut, depth is set is about 1/2" - 5/8", seems OK on the two boxes I assembled.