Had to send the girls to Time Out for fighting

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Watchdog2020, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

Two new hives that I started May 1st. Both hives have their bottom hive bodies full with a second on top that have 6 of the frames drawn and full of brood. They both have been eating between ¾ and a full quart of 1sugar to 1 ½ water a day from Boardman feeders and look about equal strength. Last night I refilled like usual to return ½ hour later to an all out robbing war on hive #2. Fighting like hell on the landing board etc. They devoured 1/3 of the jar in the time I was gone. I pulled the feeder and reduced the entrance to a few inches. I returned again in a half hour to find the hive was returning the robbing favor on Hive #1 so I did the same thing and everyone quieted down in about 20 minutes. I left the feeders off until just before dark and opened the entrances back up.

I know Boardman’s can induce robbing but this is the 1st problem I’ve seen. Should I add an empty super and feed through the top cover opening or is it time to cut them off sugar completely? I already plan on stopping when they get the other 4 frames drawn out and start using them. We have a ton of clover etc. going at the moment.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Clover or not, they aren't finding the nectar they need. Remove the boardmans and build a robber screen for each. You can use another feeder with a box to protect it, or open feed a hundred feet or more away from the hives. I feed with 6 boardmans on my back porch. We don't use the back door often, and they aren't a problem when we do. Of course, you feed every hive in the neighborhood when you do it that way.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

When I feed, I always use hive top feeder, is most direct way to feed, and if is a well constructed one--few if any bees will drown in it, also provides much larger access to the feed. use with outercover on top, your done--no robbing unless you spill your feed on the outside of hive, then perhaps attract other bees or wasps.
    Barry

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like a great endorsement for a boardman feeder.

If either or both hives have heft then why don't you consider ceasing feeding.

I use any number of feeder types... for most new bee keepers sealable freezer bags, filled half way with syrup and then poked twice with a fork (at about the lablel works me), then placed over the top bars just above the cluster is almost bullet proof and cheap feeding device.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would do away with the boardman feeders and use a hive top feeder. I use a inverted pickle jar on top of the inner cover with another deep covering the syrup. A little advise when you have a robbing frenzy you can stop it if the hives are close open all the tops of the hives. This will put the bees in a defensive mode and they will stay home to protect there hive.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Unless the robbers are neighboring hives..... :eek:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yes iddee you are correct It only works if you take the lid of the invading hive. Thanks for pointing that out. At that point out comes a robber screen. or a water sprinkler. When I pull honey I always open the top on all the hives before I put on fume boards

8. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

Thanks everyone - I still don't get why they are hitting the feeders so hard. There are things blooming all over the place.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

depends on the blooms some blooms do not produce nectar. Bees will lock onto the best nectar source they can find and right now it happens to be the syrup feeder

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If there is enough blooming to keep 5,000 foragers busy, but the hive has 10,000, the other 5,000 will be putting away sugar water. All of them don't work the same food source.