Hail Mary's Demise

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Mar 9, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Checked on the hives today. Hail Mary hive didn't make it. Not sure why though. There was honey and pollen stores. Here's what I wrote down going through frames.

Seems most of the bees were young a fuzzy. No deformed wings. Was some hive beetles and varroa but did not seem too many.

Bottom Box

1. honey capped most of the foundation with cells cleaned out.

Hail mary (2).jpg

2. Full pollen
    Hail mary (3).jpg

3-5. empty drawn foundation

Hail Mary (5).jpg

6-10 most are drawn frames with little amount of pollen.

Middle box and 3rd box

All drawn with pollen in middle of box.

Fall I added heavy syrup. Fed hive all winter long with MegaBee made in a candy board. Looks like they starved. Not sure what I could have done different. Bummed.:cry:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Where were the bees?
    Which frames? Were they head first in cells?

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Clustered in the top box. There were some with their heads buried.

Hail Mary (7).jpg hail mary (20).jpg Hail mary (15).jpg

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It doesn't look like a whole lot of bees. Was that all there was? If so, it could just be the cluster was too small and got caught out in a cold snap, and couldn't move.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Including the bees on the bottom (not counting the few on the frame) suggests it was a small cluster.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i for one, am bummed for you crazy, that this hive didn't make it. i would say as perry did, this cluster was too small, and i would say they starved. they went through the stores that were available, and even though you fed mega bee, bees will not leave the cluster when it is too cold. also, this was a late combine, and a 'hail mary' attempt to save what you had, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. i thought for sure it would, but i am puzzled at the number of bees left in this hive. your pictures of the thread you started way back when crazy clearly show too many bees to winter in 2 deeps.??? where did these bees go?

just some thoughts, it would appear to me overall that the bees possibly did not have enough capped honey/syrup stores in 3 deeps.
    going forward into winter, pollen frames should be placed on the outside of any deep and not in the middle. all honey stores in the center.

crazy, difficult to say what you could have done differently, but i am still puzzled by the number of bees left in your pix. :confused:

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm with you Riverbee. I thought there would be a lot more bees. Bottom box was still heavy with pollen and honey. Mid and top box light. They did eat quite a bit of the megabee. Maybe they went on a cleanzing flight and not made it back ?

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

not that many bees crazy, all i can say is your current pix of the dead bees, even with die offs, etc, does not equal what you had when you did the combine last fall, so those bees went somewhere before your cold weather set in.? even with mite kills, hives normally collapse in the fall or don't make it past november here, but the bees will be all over the bottom board, or even with starvation of a healthy population, a big cluster on the frames, with many on the bottom board, or in a warm/cold snap, in clumps, again on the bottom board, with moisture, or signs of it in the hive. i'll have to go back and look at your last pix again. might have moved the heavier box to the top if you could have, but still, with that small cluster, might not have sailed through to spring. the hard part about this, is all the work we do, that you did, to get them to spring, and lose them when spring is so close and see the bees with their heads in cells. losing bees for whatever reason, still bothers and saddens me.

don't get too bummed or discouraged crazy.....i have driven my mentor 'crazy' with my own 'hail mary' attempts (and a few other things)......it makes us better keeps, and when they come through, we are dancing :grin:

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Riverbee, looking through my pics the one I did not take was what I brushed off the frames. But it wasn't much. Not even what was on the bottom board. I'm lost why the number were so low. I don't understand how the would have starved if the candy board was right above them. They were eating it.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy, bees will not break cluster or move in a cold snap or cold weather to feed from a candy board. similar in concept to why bees starve and die when there are full frames of honey one frame over.....

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you happen to find the queen in the dead bees?

13. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

G3farms, I actually did. Got her in a little glass jar.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy, very cool, was she your original queen?....

btw, i think maybe your hive was full of drones last fall.... the drones dressed up as sisters, and then when the hive discovered it, the sisters kicked them all out of the hive in the snow on their butts....:lol:

15. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

riverbee, I have no idea if it was the same queen. Her name tag must have fallen off. :lol: Must of had a hive of drag queens.

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"riverbee, I have no idea if it was the same queen. Her name tag must have fallen off. :lol: Must of had a hive of drag queens."

:lol:
    ps crazy, best wishes to preserve that queen, it would be cool....