Half-filled brood box

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by charlie, Oct 2, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie New Member

It's October and my brood box of 10 frames has 5 empty frames. The queen is in the above super. I need to consolidate my frames for winter. Should I just leave the empty ones there?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would remove the super and put on 2:1 feed. Feed them until they get up to weight. Right now with what you are explaining I have doubts on them making it through the winter

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Hey Charlie,
    Can you give us a little more info about the setup.... You say queen is up in the super...Is this a shallow, medium? I assume not a deep or you would have said second brood box? Is this a package that you have been feeding or an existing hive?
    Here in NC they are really working the goldenrod. It is everywhere. Very active with a strong scent anywhere near the hive. If they have the top box mostly filled, they will be back filling as the brood emerge. Then they will move back down as they fill up top. Do you have other hives that you may be able to shift some frames (right size) later in the spring?
    More info will help some of us that are more local guide you the best we can.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like yote shooter I am having difficulty understanding your set up.

for myself at this time of year I want a full box in the bottom location (on the bottom board) with some feed in the outside position and brood towards the center. If I have a queen excluder in the stack I make certain to remove this and then place any frames that are partially filled frames centered in the box and directly above this 'brood box' <if this is a deep I almost always add a frame feeder here even if I don't need to give the hive feed at exactly this juncture in time I know I will need to give the hive something before next spring rolls around.. it is not uncommon for the 'brood box' to be a mediums since I start some queen in these and for the top box to be a deep.... that is the set up is essentially reversed from what some folks might expect.

5. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Snip.
    It's October and my brood box of 10 frames has 5 empty frames.

I thought about this more and have more questions.
    What are on the 5 frames that are not empty? Is it brood, pollen, honey?
    What are on the frames that are empty? Is it foundation, or drawn comb?

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Here we go again forgetting our manners.
    Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum. Sorry we get so enthused about gathering more information and giving advice that we neglect the fact that you are posting here for the first and second times.
    If the frames are empty because of the bees moving up and the brood that was in the frames emerged then feeding the bees will cause the bees to back fill the area that they are occupying now and will move back down some to cluster. If the frames are empty and only foundation which ment you placed the 2nd super on to soon but don't worry about that now, If there are no bees or honey in it take the super out from under and leave the bees in the super for winter.