hand cart recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

Most of my yards are located a fair bit away from where I can park. As a result, I usually end up hauling supers - one at a time - cross country to my vehicle.

I have decided that it is time to 'work smarter, not harder!'

My present strategy (if it can be called that) almost certainly makes robbing worse and kills my back! Not to mention, if I stumble, I get to filter dirt out of the honey!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hand truck that can be used over uneven terrain/up short hills/etc.? Any recommendations on how to modify the hand trucks available retail? Or even any other recommendations for solutions that I haven't thought of.

I know that Kelley's sells one, but the shipping alone would be brutal!

Thanks

Mike

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Kelley Co. has a nice one w/ dual wheels. I used to have one of those in my honey house and liked it alot. The wheels are air filled, not solid, so I would think the would do well on uneven terrain. The nose is long too, so it will fit under and across a sideways hive body. I had individual super pallets.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If it is any distance to haul, I would be inclined to try one of those garden carts with the bicycle wheels. You can set it up to carry them two wide and two deep (and as tall as you feel strong enough for) :mrgreen: I don't think you have to "balance" or "shoulder" as much weight with those, the wheels/axle carry more of the load.
    Plus, if you are at all handy, you could make one yourself, old bikes are everywhere.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

I saw this (I have to transport it to my hives - so pickup bed space is an issue):

http://www.cartsandwagons.com/garden-ca ... edcart.cfm

A ratchet strap over the top and I could potentially haul 6 medium supers at a time.

It also has the perk of being of use in my wife's garden - which increases the likelihood of it's purchase by at least 30%!

"Honey, I would like to buy you a garden cart." has a MUCH higher chance of being well received than, "I am going to spend more money on the bees"!

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good sale price! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Remember that each medium super when full of capped honey is around 70 lbs.
    (Oh, my back hurts just thinkin about it.)
    Funny how there is never a limit for "garden stuff" isn't it. :confused: :roll: :lol:

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

70lbs Canadian. The exchange rate makes it 45lbs US.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

This is the type I use around the bees and hops yard, it also tows behind my tractor too. Big wheels work well.

Lowes and Home Depot sell them , so does Sears.

http://www.cartsandwagons.com/garden-ca ... encart.cfm

I also saw a simple addition of arms on a $20 Harbor Freight hand truck, but can't remember what bee site that was on. Allowed for easy pickup of hives.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :lol:
    With our dollar at parity, wanna sell me some?
    :lol: :lol: