Hand Crank Extractor

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Aug 16, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Does anyone know where I might get good used hand crank extractor? I thought maybe thiis would be a good place to start.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I found mine by searching on-line newsletters of local (and within shipping distance) bee clubs. They often have classifieds.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

craigs list is also a good place to search.

craigs pal is a good tool to search in a wide area.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good and used and hand extractor maybe a bit of a stretch???

do you belong to a bee club? ours has an extractor + uncapping knife + uncapping tray that they rent.

5. letitbee

letitbee New Member

There is a bee club locally but it is not very active. My friend has an extractor he said I can use but it looks like it has never been cleaned so I guess I will just have to buy a new one from my supplier. I plan on at least 10 hives next year so I guess its a worthwhile investment.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I disagree. The one I got was homebuilt, but solid. Good cast metal gears. The basket was a little bent, and I needed to add a shim to hold the frames better, but that was all of 15 minutes work.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or borrow your friends, put it in the back of the truck, stop by a car wash on the way home and you are good to go.

at 10 + hives you do need an acceptable extractor... get one with a motor on it unless of course you have a spouse with a strong arm and a good disposition.